Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Yesterday we were at the mall and we decided to grab some lunch. Hubby and dd went to get gyros and Little man and I decided to grab chinese. Well we were standing in line and I was talking to him. The guy asked what we wanted and I turned to answer him. I turned back towards my son and he was GONE!. I felt my heart drop. I looked at the customers in line to see if he was by them. I checked the seating area. The lady behind me says "boy he is fast" and starts laughing. This lady didn't feel it necessary to let me know my son was running off. She thought laughing about it was better. I could have hit her. I found my son about 10 yards away and the shoe store stimming off the numbers. I screamed for him and ran to him. I mean i was talking to him and then turned around for like 5 seconds and he was out of site. Needless to say I lost my appetitie and all I wanted to do was cry cause I felt like the most horrible mom there was for losing him.

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:15 AM

{{{HUGZ Mama}}}   Kids run off all the time. I swear that Logan watches for me to get busy (in my purse or on a mall map etc.) As soon as he knows that I am not on him 1000%, he will bolt to an area he wants to be in. It can be embarrassing and extremely scary. I can't tell you the hours we have spent on stranger danger and wandering off. Logan cannot give his name, phone # or address! I have been that banshee moma that runs around screaming my child's name. And NO - NOBODY lifts a finger to help.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Exactly. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't have said something. Was their lunch so important that they couldn't take a second to tap my shoulder or stop him. I was so scared. There are some crazy people in this world.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Now THAT'S scary!

And you are not a horrible mom ! Unfortunately all it takes are a few seconds for a child to run off without you noticing...but would it have killed someone else in line to stop him or at least let you know?  WTH

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:01 AM

thanks. I agree we have been trained to mind our own business that sometimes we forget common sense. Granted it was a mall but still he could have still gotten hurt or worse someone could have taken him. I guess I am different in that I would have said something. I have done it many times. I have stopped kids from leaving stores or other places.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Yeah, if I had been behind you, I probably would have tried to catch him myself, then immediately tell you if I wasn't successful. But so many are taught in today's society to keep to themselves and not interfere and people have accepted this so wholeheartedly they forgot to use some dang common sense.

Sorry mama. Just remember it's ok. Kids run off. It happens. It doesn't make you a horrible parent. The horrible parent would have not cared and still ordered their meal, lol.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I know that she is not responsible for my child. But when she laughed that was too much. I mean someone could have grabbed him for all I knew. I guess I just believe in looking out for the well being of others.

Quoting Nickmom1118: So sorry that woman didn't tell you what was happening or which way he went. That was awful that she laughed at you! Big hugs! You are an excellent mom. I do agree that she should have said something. I remember this one time that I was I. Walmart. Nick was an infant. This mom had 4 kids with her. The one boy decided to sneak away and hide under the clothing. She started to move on and didn't notice. I stopped and told her that he was under the clothing. She was thankful. Hugs again. And I couldn't imagine how scared you were. Thank god you found him safe and fast. :)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I am that banshee mom LOL. We took the kids camping last weekend and I was calling his name every 2 minutes. I told my sister everyone on the campground would know his name by the end of the weekend. LOL. She told me to relax but when I asked her to watch him for a minute while I got something from my tent he took off running on her. She said that she couldn't believe how fast he was. She said she turned to answer her son and then mine took off. He was in her visible view but he was running away. She said she knew why I was on top of him all the time

Quoting Logansmom1999:

{{{HUGZ Mama}}}   Kids run off all the time. I swear that Logan watches for me to get busy (in my purse or on a mall map etc.) As soon as he knows that I am not on him 1000%, he will bolt to an area he wants to be in. It can be embarrassing and extremely scary. I can't tell you the hours we have spent on stranger danger and wandering off. Logan cannot give his name, phone # or address! I have been that banshee moma that runs around screaming my child's name. And NO - NOBODY lifts a finger to help.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM
I totally agree with you when it comes to looking out for the well being of others.

Quoting JTMOM422:

I know that she is not responsible for my child. But when she laughed that was too much. I mean someone could have grabbed him for all I knew. I guess I just believe in looking out for the well being of others.

Quoting Nickmom1118: So sorry that woman didn't tell you what was happening or which way he went. That was awful that she laughed at you! Big hugs! You are an excellent mom. I do agree that she should have said something.

I remember this one time that I was I. Walmart. Nick was an infant. This mom had 4 kids with her. The one boy decided to sneak away and hide under the clothing. She started to move on and didn't notice. I stopped and told her that he was under the clothing. She was thankful.

Hugs again. And I couldn't imagine how scared you were. Thank god you found him safe and fast. :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 18, 2014 at 4:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama!!!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:29 AM

I had the benefit of traveling through West Africa when I was in my 20s. It is understood there that when a mom gets on a bus with her arms full of children that anyone who's lap is empty takes a little one. If a child is in danger the nearest adult handles the situation gently and calmly, no thank you necessary...it is how they raise their children...together. It was a beautiful thing to watch. It is truly where Hillary Clinton coined the phrase "it takes a village" because there they all raise their children together. Wish we had a little more of that mentality here in the states :) I have never seen more happy, well adjusted children in my life!

Quoting JTMOM422:

I guess I am just not understand people nowadays. I mean I have stopped a little girl from running out of the therapy center 2 times. She was headed to the road both times. Her mom had her hands full with 2 other kids and she was very thankful. I know I would always make sure someone else's kids are safe. People just seem to want to not worry about someone else's problems. I understand to a point. But this was a child taking off. UGH

Quoting lucasmadre:

Brenda don't you dare blame yourself. It takes a village and that nasty woman could have done what any decent woman would do and tapped you on the shoulder and told you he was taking off. How many times have you stopped a running child so that his mom could catch up to him/her? I have done it dozens of times...I hated the mall when my boy was little and now he hates it so we very rarely go :)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Love this. I bet memories of those days keep smiles on your face

Quoting lucasmadre:

I had the benefit of traveling through West Africa when I was in my 20s. It is understood there that when a mom gets on a bus with her arms full of children that anyone who's lap is empty takes a little one. If a child is in danger the nearest adult handles the situation gently and calmly, no thank you necessary...it is how they raise their children...together. It was a beautiful thing to watch. It is truly where Hillary Clinton coined the phrase "it takes a village" because there they all raise their children together. Wish we had a little more of that mentality here in the states :) I have never seen more happy, well adjusted children in my life!

Quoting JTMOM422:

I guess I am just not understand people nowadays. I mean I have stopped a little girl from running out of the therapy center 2 times. She was headed to the road both times. Her mom had her hands full with 2 other kids and she was very thankful. I know I would always make sure someone else's kids are safe. People just seem to want to not worry about someone else's problems. I understand to a point. But this was a child taking off. UGH

Quoting lucasmadre:

Brenda don't you dare blame yourself. It takes a village and that nasty woman could have done what any decent woman would do and tapped you on the shoulder and told you he was taking off. How many times have you stopped a running child so that his mom could catch up to him/her? I have done it dozens of times...I hated the mall when my boy was little and now he hates it so we very rarely go :)

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:06 AM
Oh that must have been so scary! And frustrating! I don't know why that lady didn't say anything and worst of all, just laughed about it. She must not have kids or not know the fear moms feel when their kids run off.

I actually just woke up from a dream that I had lost Liam. I was working in an old abandoned house (I have weird dreams) with my coworkers and he was just outside playing. I suddenly realized he was gone and jumped up to find him but my coworkers assured me he they could still hear him. I got outside and he was nowhere. I went from house to house looking and screaming his name. It was an awful sick feeling to have lost him.

I did find him at the end but as all weird dreams go, he was found so I felt the relief but he wasn't himself. I found his sister instead as if it were her I had been frantic to find.

I also dreamed that I found Zoey (the adopted daughter of the Little Couple) wondering around a public place but her mom wasn't Jennifer, it was Oprah. And Oprah wasn't paying attention or aware that Zoey had wondered off so I was trying to get her back to her mom without freaking her out. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)