Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Help me decide

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Jen
  • 27 Replies
Liam is in a communication camp run by the speech therapy department of the University of Kansas. It's such an awesome camp.

Anyway, Liam is shy about going. He's been two days in a row already and seems happy as a clam when I pick him up but before he goes he says he doesn't want to. When we arrived today and he saw where we were he yelled "I don't want to go to this school!!"

I am torn because I feel like its good for him to go but I feel bad for making him do something he says he doesn't want to. Ugh.

Anyway, Friday they take a field trip to a petting zoo place. It's 30 mins away and they charter a giant bus. Dh thinks it will be a good experience for Liam to go and ride the bus. But of course he says he doesn't want too.

I'll you the details, then ask for your advice. I live in a town that is 30-45 mins from the camp. And the petting zoo is another 30-45 mins away. So I can either:

A- drop him off at camp. Let him participate by going on the field trip and just hang out like usual until pick up time.
B- drop him off then drive by myself to the petting zoo and meet him there. Participate in the field trip then drive him home with me.
C- just drive him to the petting zoo and home. Forget the bus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I say option B. Give him the chance to try the bus. Maybe he'll surprise you and really enjoy it. I completely understand the frustration of sending your child to school when they say they don't want to. Thankfully Cheyanne has really warmed up to her class now that she's knows the routine, and she doesn't cry in the morning anymore. But there's another little boy that everyday without hesitation runs away from his teacher and cries, practically being drug into the classroom. And everyday that same little boy, within 2 minutes of being inside the classroom, is running and playing just as happy as can be. The transition of going from being with his dad to being with his teacher is just painful. And they're trying everything they can to make it easier on him, but him struggling going into the classroom doesn't mean he doesn't want to be there, he just doesn't want to experience that transition.

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
For some reason all of my kids say I don't want to go( school, friends house, the Y anywhere really). It's the act of transitioning and the fear of the unknown. I say let him actually try it and go from there.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM

If you do option B and the bus ride is really bad, you can always drive him home instead of him riding the bus home.  My son's favorite thing about a field trip is the bus ride, lol!!  He loves it, but it use to be scary to him...until he did it once!  Has he been on a bus before?   

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Once. It was a little school bus a year ago. I think it was too much new stuff in one day cause he cried the entire way. If they hadn't changed the bus drop off schedule, I would have stuck it out but he was gonna be on the bus for an hour. So I drive him.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

If you do option B and the bus ride is really bad, you can always drive him home instead of him riding the bus home.  My son's favorite thing about a field trip is the bus ride, lol!!  He loves it, but it use to be scary to him...until he did it once!  Has he been on a bus before?   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Boy, tough one.  I'm going with B, and I agree that if the bus ride there turns out bad he can leave with you.  Good Luck!

Krissyc75
by Kristin on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:47 PM

I would choose B, my son recently started a summer camp and the transition was hard the first week dropping him of cause he would say"mommy no summer camp" but after the first week he got in the groove and liked it:) Hang in there he will get use to it.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:54 PM

B or C... Leaning toward B. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM
He did another 2 week summer camp in May and everyday said he didn't want to go. But he never cried (HUGE improvement) and was always happy at pick up time.

Quoting Krissyc75:

I would choose B, my son recently started a summer camp and the transition was hard the first week dropping him of cause he would say"mommy no summer camp" but after the first week he got in the groove and liked it:) Hang in there he will get use to it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:56 AM

I think option B is best. That way he gets the experience but you are there if he needs you.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 18, 2014 at 4:14 AM

Definitely option B...let him try the bus and you can bring him home with you if it doesn't go well.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN