Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I'm scared to ask this- depression related

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:20 AM
  • 34 Replies
Our pedi mentioned ds may have depression when we asked for the referral for testing Dec '13 (strong family history of it). He turned 5 shortly after we saw her.

Dh and I both talked earlier and agreed we've seen and heard things individually that have raised red flags. Today ds threatened to find a thorn bush and stick his face, legs, and feet if I didn't give him a popsicle. Then Proceeded to say he'd kill himself after the thorns. About 5 minutes of this being repeated. Over a popsicle :(

I have NEVER said that during my lows, or ever. I have no idea where the ideas or phrases came from. It scares me! This is NOT the first time he has said or done anything that raises a red flag.

Would you mention it to the OT before the pedi (OT is Thurs morning vs idk when for pedi)? We WILL be seeing the pedi at some point soon.

Does anyone else deal with a small 5yo child and depression along with asd and any other illnesses?
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 18, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Hugs mama...I can't imagine how you're feeling right now.  I really can't.  My heart goes out to you.  I'd definitely mention it to his OT and see if she has any insight or advice.  Big hugs!

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Hugs - it's so hard to see our children hurting.  I have no experience with depression so I don't have any ideas other than to speak with an expert.  I am not sure what training an OT has in this topic.  Does your son have a psychologist? 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Quoting Gloria1025:

Hugs - it's so hard to see our children hurting.  I have no experience with depression so I don't have any ideas other than to speak with an expert.  I am not sure what training an OT has in this topic.  Does your son have a psychologist? 

Big hugs mom! I don't think an OT will be of much help here either.

A child psychiatrist or a developmental pediatrician would be my first choice.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Ive been through this with my son. Im so sorry... it is SO hard for us moms to hear... too scary! My son at 5 told me "life was too hard and he just wanted to die." We were seeing a wonderful psychologist who gave me the book "The Explosive Child" by Ross greene.. I read it (its a quick, funny, EDUCATIONAL read) and with the help of Dr greene I was able to tweak my parenting style and help support my son so that he was less depressed, less explosive, more willing to express himself AND we avoided medication (which was a HUGE push for me at 5 I was very uncomfortable with meds) and things were good. My son is almost 8 now.. and recently (the last 6 months), his anxiety has really escalated, so we have started an anti anxiety med... (only 4 weeks) but at almost 8 I felt better about it.
Listen, I know it sounds crazy to recommend a book here- but really... I want u to RUN to your library and check it out.. it really helped me to see the ways in which I was unintentinally creating more stress and pressure and depression for my son. Listen.. if you read it (it will really take you 2 days..) and it helps-- then GREAT.. if not, you're still asking your pedi etc...

ballerina.2006
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM
It's hard! I had red flags growing up and my parents did nothing until we moved to Alaska when I was 13. I'm glad they finally did something but I don't want my child to go through years of needing help and not getting it.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama...I can't imagine how you're feeling right now.  I really can't.  My heart goes out to you.  I'd definitely mention it to his OT and see if she has any insight or advice.  Big hugs!

ballerina.2006
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM
We do not. I have been fighting since March to get him into a behavioral therapist. Most are waitlisting here with little to no movement. I will ask about a psychologist referral.

Quoting Gloria1025:

ballerina.2006
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll ask about a psychologist referral from our pedi. I don't know if my state has decelopmental pedi's but I'll start with our regular pedi.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting Gloria1025:

Big hugs mom! I don't think an OT will be of much help here either.

A child psychiatrist or a developmental pediatrician would be my first choice.

ballerina.2006
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll get it today. Dh and I both want to be at the appt which means it can only happen on Mondays. I'll read the book over the next couple days! Thank you!

Quoting SamMom912:

Ive been through this with my son. Im so sorry... it is SO hard for us moms to hear... too scary! My son at 5 told me "life was too hard and he just wanted to die." We were seeing a wonderful psychologist who gave me the book "The Explosive Child" by Ross greene.. I read it (its a quick, funny, EDUCATIONAL read) and with the help of Dr greene I was able to tweak my parenting style and help support my son so that he was less depressed, less explosive, more willing to express himself AND we avoided medication (which was a HUGE push for me at 5 I was very uncomfortable with meds) and things were good. My son is almost 8 now.. and recently (the last 6 months), his anxiety has really escalated, so we have started an anti anxiety med... (only 4 weeks) but at almost 8 I felt better about it. Listen, I know it sounds crazy to recommend a book here- but really... I want u to RUN to your library and check it out.. it really helped me to see the ways in which I was unintentinally creating more stress and pressure and depression for my son. Listen.. if you read it (it will really take you 2 days..) and it helps-- then GREAT.. if not, you're still asking your pedi etc...

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM

OK...I am going to risk getting a little personal here...

I have had lifelong depression...still on several meds. As a child I would dream about physically hurting myself to let out some of my pain. On top of chemical depression (also runs in my family) - I had a horse$*it childhood.

My daughter is 18 (on the spectrum) and has been struggling with depression since age 11. I thought we were doing everything possible to make her life better. But last year, at age 17, she overdosed on her antidepressant. She ended up in an adolescent inpatient program for a week. They taught her new coping skills and things she can do to self soothe. It was very unfortunate that it came to that but we are all better for it.

You are soooooo not alone here. It sounds like your son is trying to vocalize his inner turmoil. I would definitely notify all of his therapists and his PCP so they can have an opportunity to help him.

ballerina.2006
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM
You brought me to tears! I went unnedicated and undiagnosed until 13 then meds only for 6 months (they all thought it was SAD and being a teen).

Thank you for letting me know that we aren't alone. We'll definitely be talking with his pedi asap and I'll talk to his OT tomorrow.

Quoting Logansmom1999:

OK...I am going to risk getting a little personal here...

I have had lifelong depression...still on several meds. As a child I would dream about physically hurting myself to let out some of my pain. On top of chemical depression (also runs in my family) - I had a horse$*it childhood.

My daughter is 18 (on the spectrum) and has been struggling with depression since age 11. I thought we were doing everything possible to make her life better. But last year, at age 17, she overdosed on her antidepressant. She ended up in an adolescent inpatient program for a week. They taught her new coping skills and things she can do to self soothe. It was very unfortunate that it came to that but we are all better for it.

You are soooooo not alone here. It sounds like your son is trying to vocalize his inner turmoil. I would definitely notify all of his therapists and his PCP so they can have an opportunity to help him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)