Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Sign language

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM
  • 15 Replies
Does your kid know sign language?

My son is 4 and was non verbal up until this year and now he is talking! You can't have a conversation with him but he is saying words!! Yayyy!!

I was thinking of maybe teaching him sign language ... Any suggestions?!
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlessedAgain3
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Bump
BlessedAgain3
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Bump
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM

My daughter who will be six in Sept is nonverbal.  We try signing with her, but even in four years of teaching she only knows about ten words.  We keep trying!

johnns
by Johnna on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM
That's what we started with at speech therapy for Sally when she was 3. She picked it up quickly. Wasn't too long after that she started talking!
I think it's a great idea:)
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:35 AM
It all depends on the child. As much as I've wanted my daughter to learn signs, she just doesn't seem receptive to it. Picture exchange communication she is more accepting of.
Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Well I'm deaf due to my spd and all my kids sign. My son relyed on sign for four years. He spoke some words but could sign hi needs better. We started with Signing Time videos from the library. I later bought a set on ebay. It worked fabulously.
princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM

My son can sign drink, milk, please, all the ABC's, thank you and more.

Goode136
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM
I can sign full time as i am deaf, where you from? As there all over place have sign language and website too
mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM
We did signs when he was a baby and he signed lots of words. He doesn't anymore though. And his preschool signs a lot too so he knows some basic signs. Like stop, wait, thank you, please, stand up, sit down, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jun. 18, 2014 at 3:33 PM

My DS does not have any hearing problems, but loves watching the Signing Time videos on Netflix or Youtube. He knows quite a number of signs. I've learned some too, so we'll do some signs to one another. lol

He will also send videos of himself signing to my oldest niece since she is going to college for deaf studies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN