Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

If you had all the $ what would you do differently for you kids?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM
  • 37 Replies

Private school? The best therapists? Wonderful camps? I know one thing I would do...stay home and be a full time mom :) Find a school where being different is celebrated...take better care of myself so I was a better mom!!! xo

by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:55 AM
I would have put my daughter in a therapy center for ASD the moment she was dxed. There was one I found that sounded absolutely amazing and you could start at 2 years old there. But too expensive and too far away so hey ..... I'd buy a 2nd house that was nearby as well.

Hmmm..... Scratch that. With all the money in the world I'd purchase a building,turn it into our own center and hire patient, loving adults to work with my daughter one on one. Then when she became ready to interact with oither kids I'd invite other families with ASD children to come to the center for social time. No specific programs, just open playtimes in a sensory gym.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Def a private school for him next year for K!

And maybe a townhouse that has a basement w/ a bathroom for my FIL. :)

And $ for my mom to live in the same area as me (but not the same house LOL) and I would go back to school.

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Great question!  I agree with everything you have plus, not having to worry about how they would be taken care of after I and DH are gone would be such a huge stress relief!!  So another thing I would do is set up accounts, caretakers etc. to be sure they had the support to do what makes them happy and healthy for the rest of their lives. 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 12:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Id start a private school - since money isnt an issue, there would be minimal tuition (maybe a sliding scale) and Id have O/T's, P/Ts, speech, feeding therapy, academics, sensory gym, a pool, animals (maybe a small farm for the kids to take care of animals and some horses). Id have housing nearby (townhouses) so people could come and stay if they lived too far. Id offer support for the families, siblings. Id have a spa for the moms for treats so they feel good and a gym..Id have a golf course and a few feilds for the dads to play sports they like-- maybe even a go kart track and putt putt golf.... Id have workshops for how to best handle your kids... Id have a few restaurants, fancy and casual so no one ever has to cook 9i they dont want to). and Id have babysitting services so moms and dads would get to go out... and even if they wanted to spend time with their other kids.... basically, Id create the "village" and that "community that we all need and wish for...

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jun. 18, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I'm coming to your place!

Quoting SamMom912:

Id start a private school - since money isnt an issue, there would be minimal tuition (maybe a sliding scale) and Id have O/T's, P/Ts, speech, feeding therapy, academics, sensory gym, a pool, animals (maybe a small farm for the kids to take care of animals and some horses). Id have housing nearby (townhouses) so people could come and stay if they lived too far. Id offer support for the families, siblings. Id have a spa for the moms for treats so they feel good and a gym..Id have a golf course and a few feilds for the dads to play sports they like-- maybe even a go kart track and putt putt golf.... Id have workshops for how to best handle your kids... Id have a few restaurants, fancy and casual so no one ever has to cook 9i they dont want to). and Id have babysitting services so moms and dads would get to go out... and even if they wanted to spend time with their other kids.... basically, Id create the "village" and that "community that we all need and wish for...

Owl_Feather
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I would take the kids camping or to the shore.

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Jun. 18, 2014 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Hippo therapy, music therapy and a service dog
A huge house with a giant sensory room for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 3:07 PM

1) I would go back to school

2) Put my son in private school.

3) Get a bigger house

4) Different therapy for my son 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jun. 18, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Definitely a private school & a the best home therapists. The best of the best speech therapist.
Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Jun. 18, 2014 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like an all inclusive resort!!!!!! Love it!

I have dreamt of opening a special place like this too.

Quoting SamMom912:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)