Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

It's really hard sometimes...

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM
  • 9 Replies
A girl I graduated with lives a few houses down and has an NT boy about 6 months younger than Dylan (Dylan will be 4 in September). It was a really beautiful evening so lots of people were outside. I got so depressed watching her playing with her little boy and him playing back. I'm sitting in my driveway trying and trying to engage Dylan. It gets so very discouraging. I feel like he's slipping farther and farther away from me every day. He prefers to be on his own when we're home and it breaks my heart. I love him so much. I want so many things for him in life.
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I understand. I think many of us can totally relate to this post. I feel this way often. I feel it when I am playing with my typical kids, I feel it when I see my friends kids. I adore my son and I am so proud of him and love who he is growing in to but it still hits me when I see kids his age doing something that he doesn't do but it has also gone both ways for my son..he has things he can do that most typical kids can't.  He is 9 now but when he was younger it hit me really hard,  but I am learning. Big hugs! I get it. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Sorry you felt that way.  Hugs!  Does he do ABA therapy at all?  I know quite a few families that saw such an increase in engagement by doing it.  Maybe that would help.  There is also a floortime play method that can be used as therapy or for parents to get in to their child's world a bit better.  May be worth a shot?

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Hugs momma. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 22, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Mine is a Dillon too! =)

He's 13 now, so believe me, I know where you're coming from and still feel the same way.

hugs, girl.

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Hugs!  It hurts your heart - I understand.  Dylan will develop and do amazing things and make you proud -he's just going to do it on his terms and his timeline.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jun. 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM
Hugs mama, I feel the same way when watching the neighborhood kids play. But also feel like I have a very special bond with my son that I wouldn't have if he was nt.
johnns
by Johnna on Jun. 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Hugs mom:)
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Hugs. I feel the same way when I watch ds with nt kids. We tried YMCA soccer this year, it was frustrating. The kids picked up on his being different and stated at first. Then towards the end, parents were high fiving him. Kids would try to play with him.

Some people just don't need people like others do. Ds was low functioning from 3-5. He is now 7 and he does somewhat play with kids, games like tag, dodgeball and wrestling. But conversation is nonexistent. Hugs hugs hugs
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 22, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Oh momma. HUGS. I know that feeling all too well. My sister has a son 6 months older and a daughter 6 months younger than my son. When I see them I cry sometimes to see the interaction they have with each other. My son will interact with his sister but just to hear them conversate would make my day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)