Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Potty Training: Information, Advice, & Support from Moms Like You!

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM
  • 17 Replies

Potty training.  Every mom has to deal with it.  But when your child is ASD, you face unique challenges, and need support from people who really understand.

Moms in this group are here to help!

You can start right here by reading these 8 favorite tips shared by moms just like you, then scroll down for even more information and advice!

• Don’t stress or force it.  Your child will pick up on your stress and resist using the toilet.  
  • Use routine to your advantage.  For a child who thrives on schedules, add regularly timed potty visits to their daily routine.   For example, sit them on the toilet every 30 minutes or hour (or gradually add in more trips to the bathroom over a few days).
  • Pay attention to sensory details and adjust as necessary.   Sometimes changing the lighting, toilet paper, or the location of a potty can help.
  • Get a bathroom buddy.  Having another sibling potty train at the same time helps many learn to use the toilet.  And don't forget to let your child know each time you’re going to use the bathroom.
  • Celebrate.  Don’t forget to focus on each victory.  Whether it’s staying dry for a few hours or letting you know when they need to go to the bathroom.  It’s not just about going on the toilet, but also the positive reinforcement along the way.
  • Use rewards.  This doesn’t work for everyone, but some kids are motivated by sticker charts, toys, or high fives.  Find out what motivates your child and keep a hearty supply handy.
  • Be patient.
  • Don’t give up!

For more help:

Check out the many potty training posts, loaded with information and advice, already in this group!

Start your own post to tell your story and find support.

Share YOUR best potty training tips in the replies below!  

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 24, 2014 at 5:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 24, 2014 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

What worked for my son ws routine, consistency and a ton of patience. If I didnt stress about it then he didnt either. I waited for signs of when he was ready and we just kept calm and followed his lead. It took him a year but after us walking him through it step by step and using PECs as a visual he eventually caught on and was able to independently go. He pee trained at 4 but didn't poop train until he was 5 and then it took him another year to be able to wear underwear to bed. Every child is different and there is no one way is the only way method.  Don't get discouraged, they will eventually get there! 

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Great tips and reminders.  Patience is key as is remembering that every child does this at their own pace.

Quoting Charizma77:

What worked for my son ws routine, consistency and a ton of patience. If I didnt stress about it then he didnt either. I waited for signs of when he was ready and we just kept calm and followed his lead. It took him a year but after us walking him through it step by step and using PECs as a visual he eventually caught on and was able to independently go. He pee trained at 4 but didn't poop train until he was 5 and then it took him another year to be able to wear underwear to bed. Every child is different and there is no one way is the only way method.  Don't get discouraged, they will eventually get there! 

rebecca_new_mom
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  We are going to start potty training very soon, so I appreciate the advice.  Keep it coming!

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:07 AM

You're very welcome!  I hope it goes well. :)

Quoting rebecca_new_mom:

Thank you!  We are going to start potty training very soon, so I appreciate the advice.  Keep it coming!

Reese2010727
by Member on Sep. 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

the PECs system is awesome!!

Quoting Charizma77:

Mostacey
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2014 at 11:30 PM
How long did it take for him to start indicating that he needed to go potty? I've been trying to potty train off and on for a couple years and it's the same if I put him on the potty 9 out of 10 times he will go. But if I don't or get busy (I have 3 other kids as well) or forget or just don't have it in me to battle the potty then he surely won't remind me. We've got the routine ones down with no battle like morning, before bsth, and sometimes before bed but like I said I have to be diligent or it won't happen. I will admit I feel like a failure because he is 5 and we are no closer than at 3. :(
mjl987
by on Sep. 25, 2014 at 1:15 AM

My daughter was probably around 3 it was around Easter and she was obsessed with jelly beans! Every time she would go potty I would give her one to put in a jar then let her pick 3 a day to eat.

It worked!

keenanT
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Good Morning,

My son is great at going to the bathroom to urine, however when he is in need of making a bowel movement, he does it on the floor.  sometimes he'll just do it on the floor and come get me, and then other times he'll do it on the floor and then rub his hands with it and then come show me or do it right in my face and rub his hands in it, even as I'm trying to stop him.   It really is fustrating.  Sometimes I cry, sometimes I'm calm, but all together I dislike the scent of feces, let alone to clean it up, but that's my son.  I really wish he could do bowel movements as he could urine. 

poisonedtaco
by on Nov. 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM

My son is 2 and I was able to train my girls, but I don't know what to do with him... are you supposed to sit him on the potty chair and point his penis down? I just don't want him to pee and then have pee go everywhere but the toilet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN