• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking Gordy food/clothes shopping

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM
  • 7 Replies
Is clothes shopping going to be a total nightmare?

My brothers clothes are seriously practically see through because my mom says Oh that's his favorite shirt (its gross it has an old smell even after washing it)

He also needs new shoes.. :-/

I know my brother likes very few foods too I've seen him happily eat frozen pizza and applesauce. He wouldn't even eat pizza hut at my sons birthday party last year my mom brought his frozen pizza..

Basically it seems like he's just super picky anybody out there just push their kids past that and have any luck with it?
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
juli84
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:26 AM
bump
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I think the best thing to do is try and try again. It never hurts to try new things and see if he likes them or not. For clothes can I make a suggestion. Try to find clothing without tags. If they have tags cut them out. That seems to be a big issue with people on the spectrum. If he is anything like my son he also won't scratchy clothing or double stitched clothing. Good luck.

P.S. I love how you are doing so much for your brother. I often wonder what will happen when my hubby and I can no longer take care of our son. I hope that his sister sees in him what you see in Gordy.

juli84
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Thanks for the advice!!!

My sons excited to have his uncle come over today and spend the night tonight. We were hoping for him to move in July 1. But I told my mom maybe Aug 1 and he can spend the night a couple days a week to just get adjusted to living over here.

Is your son high functioning or low functioning? My brother is low functioning.. He doesn't do very good in taking care of himself, he didn't even talk very much until he was like 8! Now you have to tell him to calm down.

Quoting JTMOM422:

I think the best thing to do is try and try again. It never hurts to try new things and see if he likes them or not. For clothes can I make a suggestion. Try to find clothing without tags. If they have tags cut them out. That seems to be a big issue with people on the spectrum. If he is anything like my son he also won't scratchy clothing or double stitched clothing. Good luck.

P.S. I love how you are doing so much for your brother. I often wonder what will happen when my hubby and I can no longer take care of our son. I hope that his sister sees in him what you see in Gordy.

lady_katie
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:17 PM
I'm autistic, and while I am sort of a picky eater, I prefer to eat the same foods sometimes because they are my favorite. Why would I eat anything other than my favorite food? Lol. I tend to eat the same thing for breakfast every day for 3-6 months, then I start getting sick of it (therefore it's no longer my favorite), and I find a new breakfast item to eat every day :) not sure that helps you though, because you're probably thinking along the lines of variety for the sake of nutrition. Maybe try to find a few favorite healthy snacks to routinely eat?

As far as shopping, I'd recommend limiting time at the stores. Shop for shoes one day, shirts another. Shop in the morning when it's not crowded and bring hearing protection and sun glasses to cut down on the sensory input. Also, prepare him for where you are going first. If you can use pictures, that would be ideal.
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I would put my son as moderate. He can do some things for himself but we do the rest pretty much. As for talking he can say 2-3 word sentences but not much more. He does a lot of echolea. He can sing the ABC's all day long. He does read and write about 45 words at the age of 4 but has no understanding of what it is he reading or writing. His speech therapist puts his language at about a 2 year old.

Quoting juli84: Thanks for the advice!!! My sons excited to have his uncle come over today and spend the night tonight. We were hoping for him to move in July 1. But I told my mom maybe Aug 1 and he can spend the night a couple days a week to just get adjusted to living over here. Is your son high functioning or low functioning? My brother is low functioning.. He doesn't do very good in taking care of himself, he didn't even talk very much until he was like 8! Now you have to tell him to calm down.
Quoting JTMOM422:

juli84
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I took him to the mall (yikes!) my mom said make sure he brings his earmuffs.. I was like earmuffs? So you had that right!!! I'll pick him up a few pairs of sunglasses from the dollar store.

The earmuffs were great!
I basically just grabbed every soft shirt/short in his size and paid for it and will return what he doesn't like! I'm just gonna let him try it on at home.

Quoting lady_katie: I'm autistic, and while I am sort of a picky eater, I prefer to eat the same foods sometimes because they are my favorite. Why would I eat anything other than my favorite food? Lol. I tend to eat the same thing for breakfast every day for 3-6 months, then I start getting sick of it (therefore it's no longer my favorite), and I find a new breakfast item to eat every day :) not sure that helps you though, because you're probably thinking along the lines of variety for the sake of nutrition. Maybe try to find a few favorite healthy snacks to routinely eat?

As far as shopping, I'd recommend limiting time at the stores. Shop for shoes one day, shirts another. Shop in the morning when it's not crowded and bring hearing protection and sun glasses to cut down on the sensory input. Also, prepare him for where you are going first. If you can use pictures, that would be ideal.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Hugs mama!  My son is very low functioning...level of an 18 month old in the body of an almost 6 year old.  

Quoting juli84: Thanks for the advice!!! My sons excited to have his uncle come over today and spend the night tonight. We were hoping for him to move in July 1. But I told my mom maybe Aug 1 and he can spend the night a couple days a week to just get adjusted to living over here. Is your son high functioning or low functioning? My brother is low functioning.. He doesn't do very good in taking care of himself, he didn't even talk very much until he was like 8! Now you have to tell him to calm down.
Quoting JTMOM422:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)