Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you experienced any sort of rebelliousness from your ASD child?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Amy
  • 16 Replies

Lately my 13 year old has been rebelling by just not doing things he's been told to do.... pick up dirty clothes, clean out his closet, etc.  Mostly his chores, but sometimes in what he says as well.  

How do you handle an ASD child who is acting even just a little bit rebellious?

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:21 PM

At 13 I think a lot of it is normal behavior. Tester one takes over and they think they can do what they want. 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Yes my son is 9 going on 13. He can be rebellious but usually if I tell him I'm going to take away something he straitens right out.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Brady is really young compared to your child but his rebeliousness is more of a "I'm going to push your buttons" type of thing.  Hugs!

shugerbit
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Well ds is only almost 4 so I think he is just turning into a brat lol. Like today we went to a creature carnival at the pet store. He got a pony ride and got to hold giant snakes and turtles. He loves this huge fish tank they have and I gladly let him stare at them while he flapped and giggled for about 15 minutes. When it was time to leave or atleast look at something else he goes limp and drops to the floor and screamed at the top of his lungs. (Very embarrassing ). Then decided to leave on his own terms.
t1gger143
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:16 PM
My 7 year old is flat out refusing to do what he's told. So he lost toys and every electronic.
trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:21 PM
My son has ODD and it sucks. All he does is fight back on everything and do things to get a rise out of us. It's exhausting.
jowen905
by Jan on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Knock on wood, my 13 year old has not been too rebellious - he has, however, done a few things the last year or so that are "sneaky" and a bit underhanded.

He pretty well knows the rules and if he breaks them, he loses privileges.  Now, that being said, I fully expect him to rebel at some point(s) and my plan is just to be consistent in establishing rules and always, always following through with any discipline or loss of privileges.

It's a bit scary thinking of the coming years.....the NT son of friends of ours was always a sweet, friendly and outgoing kid and around 16 he turned into a belligerent (sp?), rebellious, out-of-control young man.  He's 18 now and they're still struggling to "turn him around".

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I ignore it. Usually if Sam is acting out or rude its over something stressful going on.. So I chalk it up to that, cut him some slack, know that its temporary.. And I dont add fuel to the fire by punishing or taking away things At that moment because I have learned when Sam is upset -- and being "defiant" -- he isnt in the frame of mind the learn anyhting.. My words and lessons have not taken root... (Or why would we still be doing this YEARS later...LOL) So for the last few years --- usually Ill point out that i dont like that.... Or an "out" for him... "You dont have to do that now, BUT, later when youre feeling up to it. " --- And then much later, when things are calm I will discuss alternatives, what the issue was and problem solve....or if It was an offense that needs a stronger reinforcer I will delay a gratification.. "I will do that in 15 minutes, because I didnt like the way you talked to me earlier."... Ive found the delayed gratification has worked better then a "taking away" since it doesnt "fuel the fire." And it lets him really process that he needs to do things different.. Its been working pretty well for us... 

ballerina.2006
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Yup. He's five but a lot stems from being stubborn.
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:14 AM

10 years old and fighting everything, just a few months ago he was a sweet boy BUT the doctor and school says it is a good sign of normal boy development and some of it will resolve on it's own. I am having trouble figuring out what to let go and what to make a big deal about. The one thing that really pushes my buttons is when he talks back...sasses me, that drives me crazy. If I figure any magic help I will let you know :) I didn't see this one coming and it is really getting to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)