Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

adult children with autism

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
Any parents out there with adult children with Asperges? My son is 20 almost 21, attending college part time at our local community college and lives at home. He does not drive has a hard time with money and getting places on time as well as problem solving. Would love to connect with others who have this situation as well.
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not have and adult child but I do have a 10 year old with aspergers that thinks he is an adult, does that count? I can only imagine the challenges you are facing at this point and would love to hear more about your experiences as you are a leader here with most of us having younger children. There are a few moms with adult kids so hang in there and I hope you make a friend of two. Welcome to the group and feel free to friend me if you want to chat more... xo

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:29 AM
I have a teenager with aspergers. He is almost 17 and will be a jr in HS. Were starting to discuss college and taking the ACT. Dh has been teaching him to drive - this scares me to death! I'd love to hear more about how you did it all with your son since were right behind you! How old was he when he got Dx?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Mine are only five, so no.  But welcome to the group!!!  Great ladies here!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM

My son is a young teen still, but I wonder often if he will be similar to how your son is at that age.

faithPsalm27
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has mild autism...he's 19 yrs old and just graduated high school...I'm glad to hear your son is in college...it gives me hope...my son has some anxiety about college and wants to wait on attending...I don't know if that's a good idea..I kinda wanted to make him go to college asap...my son also doesn't drive...he does ok with money..we started an allowance when he was very young to show him how to save for the things he wants...problem solving and time are issues that my son has as well...when we have to be at a place a certain time I start reminding him about an hour before we leave....good luck...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Welcome!!!
Schnauzerlov869
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM
I have a 9 yr old Aspie and I clicked on it because I'm always curious about what the future holds. Would love to hear more about your guy!
dgarcia
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:53 AM
My son is 18 and is dx with PDD-NOS. He also has dx of anxiety disorder and mood disorder. He is still in high school and does not drive. He too has issues with time and problem solving. He experiences psychosis.
airforce24b
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Hi I don't know to much about as but I have a friend that is 30 almost 31n he still lives at home he finished collegei would like to get as much information as I can about as
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM

My son is almost 10 so no advice but I am drawn to these posts to see what those who do have teen/adult children on the spectrum have to say or what advice they have to give for when my son is a little older. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)