Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is this normal?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM
  • 24 Replies
I got my hair cut today and my brother completely freaked out and was screaming for me to go get my hair back???

:-/

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 3:25 PM

He might have over reacted a wee bit. 

How do you like it?

juli84
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 3:42 PM
I love my hair.. I get a pixie every summer never thought that would bring up any emotions for him! I seriously almost dropped the groceries that were in my arms :-/

Quoting MamaLauri:

He might have over reacted a wee bit. 

How do you like it?

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, my daughter once got extremely upset over her therapist showing up wearing a new pair of sunglasses on her head. She ripped them off and threw them across the room. Some autistic people have a hard time distinguishing a person by their face alone .... they use other things that stay the same (like hair style, wearing glasses or not, a piece of jewelry if you wear it everyday).

He'll get over it and be ok, but for changes like that it's always good to prepare them for it. Show him a picture of what your hair will look like. Talk about getting your hair cut many times before you go and do it. 

It's just one of those changes that's hard sometimes. Hugs!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 5, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Yes this is normal. They have routines. They like things the way they are. My son wouldn't come near me when I cut my hair. I had to reassure him it will grow back.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 5, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Uh oh. I hope he can adjust to it eventually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesusrocks2013
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Very normal because autistic people like to stick to their same old daily routine.

Yamilajigsaw ribbonamerican flag ribbon

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I don't know my son as never reacted like that.

Jenn8604
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM
Normal. Next time prepare him for some change whether haircut, your pair of shoes(unless that's already different every day), a new store to shop at whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juli84
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Yikes... I know now for next time!

:-/

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Yes, my daughter once got extremely upset over her therapist showing up wearing a new pair of sunglasses on her head. She ripped them off and threw them across the room. Some autistic people have a hard time distinguishing a person by their face alone .... they use other things that stay the same (like hair style, wearing glasses or not, a piece of jewelry if you wear it everyday).

He'll get over it and be ok, but for changes like that it's always good to prepare them for it. Show him a picture of what your hair will look like. Talk about getting your hair cut many times before you go and do it. 

It's just one of those changes that's hard sometimes. Hugs!

juli84
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:54 PM
I told Gordy the same thing! I reminded him that he gets haircuts and that his hair always grows back..

Quoting JTMOM422:

Yes this is normal. They have routines. They like things the way they are. My son wouldn't come near me when I cut my hair. I had to reassure him it will grow back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN