Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

how do you stop verbal stimming?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM
  • 18 Replies
My mom read somewhere that asd kids verbally stim because they want to talk. So we try talking to Hayden to get him to stop. Doesn't work. He laughs and goes back to stimming. I've been told to take away whatever he's playing with until he stops. But he just stops until he gets his toy back. Then he starts up again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Jonathan counts and does his letters as a verbal stim. He can get quite annoying. At school they tell him to stop and to first do whatever it is they need him to do and then allow him to verbally stim. Of course it's a hard stim to stop. Everywhere you go there is numbers and letters. Sometimes it can take forever to get through a store cause he wants to trace numbers or letters or wants to say them out loud. If you can figure out how to stop a verbal stim I would like to know how. BTW the school has not actually accomplished him stopping LOL

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Ashton is such a verbal stimmer..he has different humming sounds..when he is happy or content (they are slightly different) when he is anxious, upset and also when he is trying to get out of something his hums get louder and more annoying.l. He is verbal and doesn't have a lot of stims other than this hum...I won't lie it sometimes drives me crazy but I have no idea how to have him not do it since its such a part of who he is and we really don't have any other issues at the moment, 

jesusrocks2013
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:42 PM

It is part of him being autistic. Some of them will grow out of it as they age.

Yamilajigsaw ribbonamerican flag ribbon

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:12 PM

I wouldn't pay any attention to it. That just makes it worse IMO. 

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:04 AM
I usually do. But it gets annoying.

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:53 AM

how old is he , you can try and use a  timer , like if its constant all day and say ''ok im setting a time for 15 mins when the bell goes off no more noises''.  Stimming is to help comfort them and help with processing- example if my son had a rough day he will start talking it out to himself process things , stimming is needed and comforting , if its a most of the day thing -i would look at what is causing him so much stress or frustration.

Stimming is a coping mechanism for self soothing.

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Stimming is a self-coping mechanism, self-soothing. He enjoys it and it is calming to him.

Behaviors can be modified through replacement behaviors that are equally or more successful for the person's purpose; new self-coping skills that are more successful for the person's purpose; or new understandings. Simply attempting to stop a behavior without understanding why the behavior exists is the main reason for aggressive behavior in ASD.

As a replacement behavior, if he likes music, Read-along Songbooks are joyful multi-sensory ways to building the eye to mouth pathways,(http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/Bookshelf.html#songBooks ). This develops reading, verbal, and interaction skills. Sing with him and encourage him to make up hand and body gestures (like rolling along, put your right foot in, shake all about) to increase imitation and joint attention skills. The song Bingo develops very important response inhibition skills. If he enjoys it do it every day.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Although my son is nonverbal and his stims are different, I agree here.

Quoting mypbandj:

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM
He just enjoys making noise.

Quoting letstalk747:

how old is he , you can try and use a  timer , like if its constant all day and say ''ok im setting a time for 15 mins when the bell goes off no more noises''.  Stimming is to help comfort them and help with processing- example if my son had a rough day he will start talking it out to himself process things , stimming is needed and comforting , if its a most of the day thing -i would look at what is causing him so much stress or frustration.

Stimming is a coping mechanism for self soothing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Logan is very much a verbal stim kid - as well as physical stims. I feel he does it to cope with situations or sensations and just try to block it out and ignore it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN