Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Self abuse w/ over stimulation?UPDATE

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:29 AM
  • 6 Replies
Idk if your children do this or if this even has anything to do with autism probably not?

:-/

Sky was playing XBOX and he has surround sound up in the loft.. I heard Gordy say turn it off (he means turn it down)

Sky ignored him I guess he was probably just into the game or whatever

Gordy picked up the remote to the tv and started smacking it into his head!?

I just ran to the tv and turned it off and Gordy kinda calmed down but not right away.. It was really scary!

I talked to Sky and told him that the loud noise from his game was what upset his uncle and that he had to be more aware about how loud he is etc. He got VERY upset he's never been so upset with me before! He said he hates his uncle being here and that everything is changing just so that he can live w us and how unfair it is to him and so on..

I'm heartbroken over this.. :'-(
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Brady will hit himself in the head when he's frustrated.  He used to bang his head on the floor.  It's hard, but I try to block him without giving him attention for it.

3chicksfarmmom
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM

My daughter will bang her head on the floor until she has a huge goose egg.  We are working on having her take deep breaths instead or say when she is frustrated instead.  At times she can refrain from head banging, others we ignore her behavior and wait for it to stop.  It is hard to watch.  Sorry!  Good thoughts your way :)

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Sorry. Sounds like he was super frustrated or over stimulated. Both my boys will hit themselves in the head but they've never used an object. That would be scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM

This sounds exactly like over stimulated by the sounds from the game. Can Sky play the game with earphones? This may help Gordy out. And yes sometimes when they get over stimulated they may hit things. My son will hit his head on things. He doesn't do it very often...maybe once every couple months.

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Logan hits himself, bangs his head, pinches and bites himself when he is overstimulated. It does sound like Gordy was overstimulated. It was a good suggestion to use headphones. Good luck.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:37 AM

It is normal, the hitting yourself but I understand your Sky's peerspective. I think you have to try to make some one on one time with him and maybe time when his uncle is not home so he can feel like his life is normal. You are a brave mom and a good sister. I am so impressed with what you are doing...xo    Sky may adjust over time too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)