Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is your ASD child violent?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Amy
  • 34 Replies

A friend of mine is a special ed teacher who works primarily with children who are low functioning autistic.  This past year, she worked with 5 boys, 2 of which who were pretty violent.  She came home daily with scratches, bite marks, and all sorts of bruises.  It was bad enough that she and her co-teachers had to request specialized equipment (gloves, etc) to protect themselves when working with these boys.

Has your child ever been violent?  Has s/he ever physically hurt someone else?

by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
juli84
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM
My brother hasn't hurt me yet.. But he has hurt himself. I used to work with people who were autistic and a young man head butted me so hard I got a concussion. I think they act out like that because they obviously cannot always speak what their emotions are but idk because obviously I'm not that person... That's just my personal thought.
mrsary
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Sometimes she is but she doesnt think she is in the wrong.
.beautifulrose.
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 3:41 PM
My son's autism is severe. He has never been violent towards others. There was a short period of time where he would hit himself on the head. My DH and I knew something was wrong. We had him seen by a GI doctor who found that he was in pain from GERD and ulcers. We treated with medication and the self-injurious behavior stopped. Other than that, no, he's never tried to harm anyone.
ballerina.2006
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Yes. Never toward non family or extended family.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM

When Ashton was in first grade he had a rough year (not in school but in general) ..very anxious and the littlest things would upset him and he would scratch, throw things or pull hair..this didnt happen at school, mainly at hOme and mainly he scratched me and would pull my dd's hair but he did pull other kids hair as well as a couple of kids he didnt know.it was frustrating, he is almost 10 now and once in awhile he scratches me when he is upset or very anxious but has not hurt another child. He is not considered violent or aggressive.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM

My son self injures, but it's not very extreme. He will hit his head on a hard floor, but stop after a few hits when it really starts to hurt. He also hits himself in the face and bites himself, but it's not too extreme. I've seen bite marks on his legs, but he has never broken the skin. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

NO thank goodness. He may hit once in a blue moon but never hard. I have to say your friend is a great teacher to take that from the kids.

charley31
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Yes unfort. My son has aspergers. I get it the worse. He was doing great for 6mo and last week he started up again. I got punched in the nose. He's come a long way as have I with ABA therapy tho.
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Logan has had to start meds this year for violent behaviors at school.  He broke a table and went after the teacher with the table leg. He also tried to throw himself over the railing on the 4th floor...scary. The list goes on. He is required to wear his helmet at school.

We do not see these behaviors at home and rarely have to medicate him. We are working closely with the school to rectify the situations. He gets a new teacher this year. Either it will get better or worse...time will tell...

Simran81
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:10 AM

No, has never been, but he is only 3.5. Right now, he is very gentle and careful . He is very timid also, so if another child grabs his toys or hits him, he can't defend himself. He takes so much care of his toys too. I realised this when another child broke one of his delicate toys in a few minutes of play. He had been playing with it for months and it was as good as new.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN