Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I had my son arrested

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:01 AM
  • 20 Replies

my 12yr old autistic son, Jordan, started getting sarcastic with me today and when I sent him to his room, he slammed the door as hard as he could.....I told him that if he did that again I'd take the door off its hinges and thats just what I did.....he told his grama he didn't care if she was dead, he called me everything but a white woman and he'd like to choke me or shoot and kill me.....he tried to punch me more times than I can count, tried to kick me once.....I called the police when he threw a full bottle of water at me, a tv remote control, a shoe....he's been in counseling for months....he's on medications for bipolar disorder, adhd, being impulsive, insomnia.....Am I wrong for doing this with my son?? I told the officer I'd keep him at home and take him to his counseling appt tomorrow morning and see what she recommends.....than Jordan tried to punch me again....I got the officer back and told him that Jordan just tried to punch me again, I'm tired of this happening and I don't know what else to do.....someone needs to get thru to Jordan that he has rules that he must follow....obviously me and my mom aren't very persausive......hopefully 1 night in detention and a meeting with the judge tomorrow morning will "make him see the light".....on top of all this, Jordan refused to take his meds....i asked him, my mom asked him and the deputy asked him.....he refused to take his medication.....i really dont know what to do about that.....without his medications he'll be having mood swings, temper tantrums, he'll be next to impossible to control......ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO HANDLE THIS?? WHAT SHOULD I DO IN THE FUTURE??

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 7, 2014 at 4:56 AM

Oh mama...big hugs!  I can't imagine what you're going through, but I wish you the best.

*Your font is super hard to read...just wanted to let you know:)

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

read "the expolsive child" by ross greene. its a quick easy entertaining read and will really help you to help your son.

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I am so sorry for you and your family. My son gets aggressive occasionally...mostly at school. He is extremely low functioning so we don't get the name calling but he does take an occasional swing or attempt to kick. When he does this at home, his 18 year old sister (also on spectrum but high functioning) is usually his target. She is loud and gives him a BIG reaction - I think that's why he does it. He is most likely to abuse himself which requires him to use his helmet on occasion. I don't know if I could handle it if it came to the point of having him arrested. He absolutely would have meltdown after meltdown and not know what to do with himself. He would also be a wide open target for the other kids in detention.{{{HUGZ}}}

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jul. 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM

So sorry you are going through this. Big hugs!

*Your font was really hard to read too...just wanted to let you know*

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM
I'm so sorry mama. My son was out of control for about 6 months. Finally his psychiatrist put him on Abilfy. He's so much easier to manage now.
I know what your going through I've been bit, hit, kicked & last Dec. broke my wrist trying to control him at the doctor's office.
I truely hope things turn around for you & your son. Big (((hugs)
Does your state have any emergency teams that you can call? When my son was out of control I found out about an emergency team that anyone can call if your loved one is out of control. Their a team of 5, they come in an ambulance & will come to your home to help defuse the situation. Sometimes the patient will have to go to the hospital to be evaluated or they will help you get homecare.
It might worth looking into. Good luck &hugs!
juli84
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM
My youngest brother he's 21 now is bipolar and he has really bad anger/mood swings. My parents had to call the police on him multiple times starting at age 14.. They never took him to jail? They took him to a 24hr mental health *time out* facility.. I will pray your son takes his meds BC really that is the #1 thing that will help this situation!! Praying for peace in your home ❤
juli84
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:12 PM
2 moms liked this
If she called the mental health crisis line for her area they'd hook her up w the crisis team! I know what you mean!

Quoting wildchild.com: I'm so sorry mama. My son was out of control for about 6 months. Finally his psychiatrist put him on Abilfy. He's so much easier to manage now.
I know what your going through I've been bit, hit, kicked & last Dec. broke my wrist trying to control him at the doctor's office.
I truely hope things turn around for you & your son. Big (((hugs)
Does your state have any emergency teams that you can call? When my son was out of control I found out about an emergency team that anyone can call if your loved one is out of control. Their a team of 5, they come in an ambulance & will come to your home to help defuse the situation. Sometimes the patient will have to go to the hospital to be evaluated or they will help you get homecare.
It might worth looking into. Good luck &hugs!
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Sorry your family is going through this.  Does your area offer any internsive home based services such as Multi-Systemic Therapy or the emergency team that wildchild above posted?  It is important for him to grasp that violence isn't accepted in your house.  There are a lot of good services and resources out there to help caregivers learn ways to manage our kids behavior and prevent violence.  Reach out to your local Arc chapter, or board of mrdd in your area for services. Juvenile court may have ideas for services and can hopefully point you to help but in my experience a court appearance and detention doesn't change behavior.  Good luck! 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Oh..I am so sorry..I don't have any advice but you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs! 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I don't know. I hope that the system you just entered will have some support for you guys.  You need it. HUGS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN