Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Therapists At A Loss...

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • 8 Replies

My 5 year old girl has PDD-NOS and has received joint speech and o.t. therapy for about a year. while some progress has been made, because of her intense behavior she hasnt made near the amount of improvement she could and should have by this point. she was supposed to start ABA over the summer, something of which i and her developmental ped. were counting on, but that fell through. it has reached the point where neither i nor her therapists know  what to do about the behavior issues. out of everything weve tried and everything they know and were taught to do, nothing works with her. im at the point where i feel like i need counseling just to help cope to dea with her, and feel like a crap parent for feeling like that and not knowing what to do with her. If the people who are taught how to work with this dont know what to do or give me anymore ideas, i dont know what else to do. i know theyre not behavior therapists themselves but they have dealt with behavior issues before and have never had a child before my daughter that didnt show some response and improvement to their techniques. has anyone else ever been in this position? ive heard countless times from several different people that they dont know what to do, or how to handle the situation or that theyve never had to deal with hat from another kid before. when i hear that from therapists, teachers, iep case mnagers, daycare teachers, etc., it leaves me at a loss of what to do and feel like theres no hope

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM
I'm so sorry you feel this way. It really bugs me when therapists say they don't know what to do. It doesn't matter if they're not behaviorists ... They have access to people and research in their workplace and they can always continue to find something to try.

I haven't been in this position with behavior .... I am in this position with eating though. All I can say is continue to push for the ABA and try to find some parent classes you can take on ABA and other behavioral approaches.
And try to not feel like a crappy parent. Our kids are tough to understand sometimes and its incredibly frustrating not knowing how to help when that's all you want to do. Counseling is great though.... Whatever puts you in a better mood and raises your spirits will most definitely benefit you daughter.
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM
And check out the blog The Autism Helper. I just found it and it has a lot of good insight into behavior problems.
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I so understand and it sucks. Logan did therapies for several years and made little improvement in behavior, habits and speech. We finally stopped therapy because he wasn't benefiting. We ended up starting him on meds. Also, I am currently working on ABA - my son is 14 and I don't know if ABA will even benefit him. Stay strong, you will find something that works with her. ASD Moms need to be creative sometimes to help our little ones. Therapy is a great idea. {{{HUGZ}}}

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ask for a referral for a behavior therapist who CAN impact the behavior getting in the way of progress, and get the ABA if you can.  My daughter has made slow progress in five years and is always behind their expectations.  But if you look back to where she was, progress is there so it is worth it for me to keep moving her forward.  When I find a teacher/therapist that doesn't know what to do, that's the issue, not my daughter.  Time for new therapist with new bag of tricks!  If they can't or aren't willing to, that is how much they are going to help your child, none.  The ones that want to think outside the box and continue to try new things is the one I want.  Good luck, mama!  Hugs!

Macphee
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:39 PM
I will echo what these ladies have said.
Even if a therapist doesn't know, they usually interact with others and should try something new.

Aba does make a difference. I picked up a book that helped about raising ADHD child. Behavior problems can be approached in two ways with my kid, ignore or choices. Instead of so this and do that, try to give your kid a choice. Catch her doing the stuff you like and make a big deal. Ignore the bad behaviors. Ds self injury is starting again, ignoring works.

Write you own plan of one or two behaviors you want to change, transitions, waiting, screaming, etc. and then make sure everyone follows your plan. Open up to her development pediatrician about tools. Hugs. We had to wait almost a year before Aba started.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I am so sorry ABA didn't come through for you. We use it and it has helped tremendously with meltdowns on my son. He doesn't do anything violent but had gotten to the point of hitting his head on things. Working with the ABA has helped with this. Hopefully you can get ABA soon

sourpatchmom098
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:59 AM

thank you all. we will be going for an assessment this morning at a behavioral health center, but after whatever they feel her needs will be she will be put on another waiting list. i suppose its a step in the right direction but all this timeand waiting sucks.

patnic
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Have you tried sharing her behaviors here in this group?  Sometimes we (moms) know A LOT more than doctors, therapists, teachers, etc.

And good luck.  And it is ok to get support for yourself on how to deal with her behavior.  Hang in there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN