Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does your child do any activities?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:23 PM
  • 26 Replies

My daughter is 7 years old she is mild to severe autistic so anyways we are looking at maybe trying to get her more involved with outdoor activities.  She loves to swim (doesn't know how yet) but she wears a life vest type thing but I'm looking at maybe soccer or some kind of other activity.  I don't know what would be good for her so I was wondering do any of you ladies have your ASD child in some kind of activity?

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you thought of Special Olympics (www.specialolympics.org), TOPSoccer, or Challenger Little League?

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Karate has been a life saver for us because it combines so many of the things our kids need. Body self awareness, focus, strength building, and most of all the whole mind body connection and a strong moral component. I highly recommend it, my son's class is half girls!

mommy2girls0506
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I have not but I live in Hawaii and I'm not sure how I would get involved with those.....  Are the special olympics open to ASD kids?  I don't even know what Challenger Little League is or TOPSoccer.  Thanks for the info though I will check all out.

Quoting dawncs:

Have you thought of Special Olympics (www.specialolympics.org), TOPSoccer, or Challenger Little League?

mommy2girls0506
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I might look into this as well.  Karate is huge here so I might be able to find something that would work for her.

Quoting lucasmadre:

Karate has been a life saver for us because it combines so many of the things our kids need. Body self awareness, focus, strength building, and most of all the whole mind body connection and a strong moral component. I highly recommend it, my son's class is half girls!

MedicMommy2
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:43 PM

My son does karate and there is an ASD girl in his class. Unfortunately she may not be there long because these kids are highly competitive and most are on a traveling team and she holds the class up. I think it is great if you find an organizaation that wont be affected by it. My friend puts her ASD son in all sorts of sports and then wonders why he has not friends because he hinders the team. 

dawncs
by Dawn on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Yes, Special Olympics is open to those diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum. It is in almost every country and all 50 states plus the District of Columbia.

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

I have not but I live in Hawaii and I'm not sure how I would get involved with those.....  Are the special olympics open to ASD kids?  I don't even know what Challenger Little League is or TOPSoccer.  Thanks for the info though I will check all out.

Quoting dawncs:

Jenn8604
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds takes special needs swim lessons. Most Y's offer them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Macphee
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Y swimming, fishing, kayaking, Y soccer was a disaster. Karate was a bust and we are trying basketball this winter.

So far, ds shows the most interest in swimming. I've heard some kids like golf, too.
mommy2girls0506
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:57 PM

That's the thing I'm most worried about, her hindering the team and not making the friendship I know she would want to make.  My oldest isn't ASD and we are looking at putting her into soccer but with my kids if one does so does the little one or at least she says she does.  I'm going to look and try to find something that fits her and won't be to hard for her.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

My son does karate and there is an ASD girl in his class. Unfortunately she may not be there long because these kids are highly competitive and most are on a traveling team and she holds the class up. I think it is great if you find an organizaation that wont be affected by it. My friend puts her ASD son in all sorts of sports and then wonders why he has not friends because he hinders the team. 

mommy2girls0506
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Thanks I am going to look more into it

Quoting dawncs:

Yes, Special Olympics is open to those diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum. It is in almost every country and all 50 states plus the District of Columbia.

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

Quoting dawncs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN