Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Autism acceptance

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am looking for information on autism spectrum disorder. I will like to hear from other parents who are dealing with children on the spectrum.

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:06 PM

What do you want to know? 

seekinawareness
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM

If an autistic child is calm at home, and when he is goes outdoors he becomes disruptive because he cannot get what he wants, how do you defuse the situation without feeling as if you are rewarding his behavior?

ballerina.2006
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like the situation(s) is overstimulatimg. Try noise canceling ear muffs (like for a shooting range)

Quoting seekinawareness:

If an autistic child is calm at home, and when he is goes outdoors he becomes disruptive because he cannot get what he wants, how do you defuse the situation without feeling as if you are rewarding his behavior?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 9, 2014 at 5:28 AM

Welcome to the group!  What is it the child wants but isn't getting when he goes outside?

Quoting seekinawareness:

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I agree with this question. You have to look at all angles to figure out what he is lacking. This will help you to know how to handle the situation. My son will not just play outside. To get him out in the fresh air, we have to take him to the playground. And even then he will only play for a short time because of the commotion of the other children.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group!  What is it the child wants but isn't getting when he goes outside?

Quoting seekinawareness:

indyrunner
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I agree with others here, there isn't enough information in your post to give you specific answers/hints on what you could try to do to helf, without feeling like you are rewarding him.  You need to get to the root of why he is disruptive outside for not getting what he wants. 

Do you think it is sensory?  i.e. the sun is too bright, the sounds are too loud and that kind of thing?  or do you think is is happy being inside, watchingTV, playing or whatever he is doing and just doesn't want to disconnect and go outside?  Is it a transition thing?  What if you are just going out to get in the car to go somewhere else, does that short amount of time being outside upset him?  

Can you take what he likes inside to the outdoors to see if that promotes a calm effect?

If it's sensory, you can try the noise cancellng headphone and sun glasses and go out for short periods of time and build up to longer periods of time.  Try pairing it with something that he likes to do, but let him know in advance, so it's not like you are rewarding him.  I don't know if any of this makes any sense.

Hugs to you.  I hope you can find a good solution.

I

Quoting seekinawareness:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN