Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Organized sports/athletic classes for ASD kids?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 12:37 AM
  • 4 Replies

My daughter's pre-k teacher mentioned that my ASD daughter really seemed to enjoy gymnastics when they have visiting teachers at their school.  Is that something that they excel with given various class sizes, following detailed instructions and should I mention the ASD and put her in maybe the younger age group type classes given her delays?  She is very physically active regarding jumping, climbing, wrestling, dancing, etc.

by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kimd03
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:23 AM

I have put my 8yo son with ASD, high functioning, in Upward basketball twice. He is very good and has a great shot. At this time however, I  don't see him doing it again. Upward is not competetive but he gets so unfocused and tired depending on what time of day practice is on and timeframes for game days and don't always follow the rules because he is set to make the basket once he has the ball. I say try it out. More than once to see how she does. Allow them the opportunity to do the things they love. Good Luck!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 9, 2014 at 5:26 AM

I'd love to put my son in something like that when he's a little older!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:07 PM

When my son was younger, he loved gymnastics and swim lessons but hated group activities.

I'd talk to her teachers and see what they recommend.

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:26 PM

If she is interested, it can't hurt to try. When my son was younger, we couldn't do any organized sports because of his degree of Autism and his other health issues. Now he still has those issues but more importantly, he is just not interested. Good Luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)