Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

New, autism and homeschooling help needed!

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi from Little Bryan and his Mom!  

Actually I've been in this group before, years ago when we got our diagnosis... lost track of it when things got hectic and now I'm back.  

Due to an absolutely crazy situation with our school, I will be homeschooling this year.  I have the intent to home school paper in my hand, but THAT'S IT.  I know how smart my kid is (going into 3rd grade and reads at a 6th grade level)... I know his limitations (haaaaates using a pencil or pen, won't even color).  But all the technical aspects of it are scaring me, quite frankly.  

Can anyone help walk me thru the procedures to get into this?  Please and thank you!   

by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My son still has 2 years of preschool left, so I'm not going to be a huge help, but I do intend to homeschool so I've been starting to look into it a little bit. I know that the technical aspects are different in every state. You would probably have the most luck by finding homeschooling groups that meet in your area and asking them. I was able to find some in my area by using the search feature on facebook. You could also try meetup.com. 

BethJones931
by New Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Thank you so much for answering me!  

The problem is I live in an area where there's just not much going on.  I did a search or ten already... nearest thing would be 40 miles away from me.  I do need local advice  .... will try further wit h those groups.  

I'm in Arkansas btw for anyone else who reads this.  :) 

perrywinkle
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM
You have to fill out the intent to home school
and turn it in to your district. Does if ask what curriculum you will be using? Then you you need to pick a curriculum or pick one for each subject. Are you doing k-12 online? That might be easiest to start. Are you getting any services from the school? You might be able to access special ed or therapy while homeschooling. I would find a group for sure. Sometimes they offer classes and the parents can help you with the requirements and laws.

BTW, I was homeschooled all the way to 12th grade in Arkansas and they had a lot of groups. My younger siblings even got to play sports. What part of AR do you live in?

Quoting BethJones931:

Thank you so much for answering me!  The problem is I live in an area where there's just not much going on.  I did a search or ten already... nearest thing would be 40 miles away from me.  I do need local advice  .... will try further wit h those groups.  I'm in Arkansas btw for anyone else who reads this.  :) 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:36 PM
I joined the homeschooling group on CM and lurk in there for advice! There are moms with ASD kids in there and I know there's a post with homeschooling laws state by state.

I would definitely ask in that group... It's so big, so I'm sure there has to be moms near you with all the answers you need!

And woo hoo to you for homeschooling!! My son is graduating 8th next year and I'm pretty convinced we are homeschooling for high school. So I'm cheering you on!

Please let me know how you make out!
Chicklets13
by Kris on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Are you wanting help with the paperwork or the curriculum? I homeschooled my kids, one has autism, and we live in central Arkansas.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 15, 2014 at 5:33 AM

Welcome!  I don't have any experience with homeschooling but I wish you the best!

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:37 AM

My daughter did online public school from home. We used Connections Academy...available nation wide in the USA. It was a wonderful experience. The child has access to online teachers, live lessons and weekly field trip opportunities. They are wonderful with IEPs and actually added to my daughter's IEP that she came with from our local school system. And this program is totally FREE. I encourage you to check into it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

www.connectionsacademy.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN