Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Family They Don't Get It!

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

So last Saturday two of my brothers & their families came down & we met them at the beach down the street. I was a little nervous about bringing Brady to this particular beach because last year he got overheated & had a complete & total meltdown. Well I figured we'd only stay for as long as he wants & if he's says mama home then we pack up & leave. Well ladies he did fantastic! He played in the water & dug in the sand, next to his cousins. He lasted 2 hours , which was plenty for me. He told me mamma home & we packed up said our good byes & went home. I was so
proud! Until I hear from my mom (who wasn't there) that Brady wasn't having any fun & he wasn't playing with the other kids so we had to leave. Apparently this is how my family saw it. It's amazing that we were all at the same spot & we saw two different scenarios. I saw a wonderful day at the beach with no meltdowns & my family saw a child that doesn't interact & not having fun. Ugh they just don't get it & frankly I get exhausted explaining it.
Don't get me wrong I loved seeing my family but I wish they understood autism a bit more. ..Oh well just had to get that out because I know you guys get it! Thanks for listen !(((hugs)))
P.S. heres a pic. Does he look like he's Not having fun Lol
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs. That looks like he's laughing.

Time to share this with your mother, then ignore, ignore, ignore.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Thanks 😊

Quoting MamaLauri:

Hugs. That looks like he's laughing.

Time to share this with your mother, then ignore, ignore, ignore.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this
That smile tells me he loved it! They need to open their eyes a little more and see that THIS was a big deal for him and a huge success. Shame on them.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

remind them that they would KNOW if he was UNHAPPY... since they didnt hear much from him..(no meltdowns) he was good... LOL.. he looks super happy (and CUTE) in the water there.... :) Sounds to me like a good day ---

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:23 PM
It was a great day!

Quoting SamMom912:

remind them that they would KNOW if he was UNHAPPY... since they didnt hear much from him..(no meltdowns) he was good... LOL.. he looks super happy (and CUTE) in the water there.... :) Sounds to me like a good day ---

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:23 PM
They have no clue!

Quoting TheJerseyGirl: That smile tells me he loved it! They need to open their eyes a little more and see that THIS was a big deal for him and a huge success. Shame on them.
jowen905
by Jan on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

What a handsome young man!  That's fantastic that he had 2 hours of fun.  It's a shame that family saw it differently, but you know he had fun and Brady knows it.  He'll have great memories of his day!

slsbrina
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what bugs me. I want my son to be happy and have fun. It seems like that at times family members do not understand what we go thru with our children. I would to go to  dinner with our son, but the last time we did this he had a complete meltdown and we had to get the food to go. Sometimes my son doesn't tolerate going to parties either. It makes me nervous at times when we have to go to a party, because sometimes when he yells not that he is having a melt down but is excited people will look at us. I do not want to have tell everyone about him. So how do you guys handle these situations?

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh poo that they rained on your parade.  Sounds like he did amazing and such big progress!!!  You and Brady should be very proud!!!   

tictacmama
by Arlea on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

He looks like he had a blast, congrats on the good day. Sorry the family doesn't get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)