Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

what is fragile X?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:42 PM
  • 12 Replies

I was just reading a post about genetic testing and several women mentioned fragile X, can anyone explain the symptoms or signs of this and what it means? Thanks...

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I have heard of it and know it is something frequently tested when genetic autism tests are done, but I am not familiar.  I'd have to google it.  I think it is a genetic condition like the 'syndromes' but don't understand it all either.   

tictacmama
by Arlea on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Women pass on X chromosomes and men pass on X and Y chromosomes. Sometimes a woman can have an X chromosome that is weaker or more "fragile" than most people in her DNA. Often it is not noticeable in her because her DNA has two X chromosomes so the other one filled in the gaps for the faulty one when she was being createdin her mother's womb. However when her body made her own eggs, they only pass on one of the X chromosomes she had. If the fragile one is passed on and the sperm that fertilized it is male (Y) then the new life has one Y chromosome and a weak X chromosome. Because there is no other X to piggy-back off of there is more chance for more pronounced issues caused by lack of genetic info to crop up. 

Many of the symptoms involved in people who have a fragile X chromosome are said to mimic autistic traits. At least that is my unprofessional understanding of the syndrome. Hope it helps. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 16, 2014 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Great explanation!

Quoting tictacmama:

Women pass on X chromosomes and men pass on X and Y chromosomes. Sometimes a woman can have an X chromosome that is weaker or more "fragile" than most people in her DNA. Often it is not noticeable in her because her DNA has two X chromosomes so the other one filled in the gaps for the faulty one when she was being createdin her mother's womb. However when her body made her own eggs, they only pass on one of the X chromosomes she had. If the fragile one is passed on and the sperm that fertilized it is male (Y) then the new life has one Y chromosome and a weak X chromosome. Because there is no other X to piggy-back off of there is more chance for more pronounced issues caused by lack of genetic info to crop up. 

Many of the symptoms involved in people who have a fragile X chromosome are said to mimic autistic traits. At least that is my unprofessional understanding of the syndrome. Hope it helps. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Interesting...thanks for explaining!

Quoting tictacmama:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:24 AM

Here's a link to a site that explains the differences between Fragile X and Autism.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Thanks Darby for the research...xoxo 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Here's a link to a site that explains the differences between Fragile X and Autism.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:36 AM
I had my son tested for fragile X as it is one of the few known genetic causes for autism and autism traits. I have a lot of the physical characteristics, so I was worried that I passed it on to him, but that wasn't the case. The doctor doubts that I have it at this point, but I'm betting that the physical traits are not a coincidence, and that they will eventually discover a different genetic mutation which is causing them and my autism. Only time will tell!
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Heard of it many times but had no idea what it really was.

dannix7x
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:35 AM
My son has had genetic testing, would he have automatically been tested for this?

Quoting tictacmama:

tictacmama
by Arlea on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think so, but you can always call you doctor and ask for the results to know for sure. They usually keep records if it was referred through your pediatrician's office.

Quoting dannix7x: My son has had genetic testing, would he have automatically been tested for this?
Quoting tictacmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)