Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

First week of Aba

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

Is done.. And she spent about 10 minutes out of 4 hours with Sam. 

The first day we talked for 1.5 hours. She wanted all background. In the last 30 minutes (sam was busy occupying himself playing while we talked) she went over and pissed him off ... He told her nicely he was "in the middle of a game." But she pushed and pushed... Until he blew up at her. Then, he proceeded (after she left) to set a sand timer and put himself in time out... (I havent used time out in 3-4 years...) anyway, whn she came yeaterday for 2 hours, he hid under the bed... (We told him to relax, she wasnt going to work with him, she was here to talk to me (again) and if at any point he was ready, he could come to the family room... He made 2 quick appearances.. But she was never able to interact with him. 

What WAS nice (dont forget, she is supplied by the distrtict) is that she said.. "He does NOT belong in the ICT class!! i so dont see him there!!!!" So at least she is on my side... We talked a lot about the awful school year and how to move forward. :) 

so, while I dont like ABA, i do like her.. She is def. More A then C (im NOt be in concequence) when (if) she does work with Sam, honestly, I dont see it going well... LOL... I dont think she realizes how smart he is... And I think she thinks it will be easy.. And he is ANYTHING but easy,,, LOL... 

5 more weeks of ABA to go...tune in....  Lets see what happens next week. 

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLauri
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I am formally trained in ABA and find it a valuable tool in my toolbox, but it functions poorly as the only tool in the box. Although behaviors taught this way do not generalize well, it is useful to extinguish discrete harmful behaviors.

ABA is useful in replacing discrete behaviors with other behaviors that are more productive for Sam meeting his needs. Do you have a list of discrete behaviors of Sam's you would like to replace? Share the prioritized list with her. Just the act of Sam learning that replacement behaviors can make everyone happier is a gain. Then you and Sam need to learn how to negotiate the replacements.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Ugh! I don't know. She does awful.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Quoting MamaLauri:

I am formally trained in ABA and find it a valuable tool in my toolbox, but it functions poorly as the only tool in the box. Although behaviors taught this way do not generalize well, it is useful to extinguish discrete harmful behaviors.

ABA is useful in replacing discrete behaviors with other behaviors that are more productive for Sam meeting his needs. Do you have a list of discrete behaviors of Sam's you would like to replace? Share the prioritized list with her. Just the act of Sam learning that replacement behaviors can make everyone happier is a gain. Then you and Sam need to learn how to negotiate the replacements.

Totally agree. The fact that Sam used an appropriate behavior and she didn't reward that, tells me she's not a good aba therapist.

She didn't even try to build repoire or pair herself first. You are supposed to do that for like two weeks first!

What was she thinking? 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:04 AM
I'm glad you like her. I hope Sam grows to like her too and hopefully something good will come of this. Keep us updated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM

What is "pair herself" mean??  We just started ABA a this week too and have not heard that term?

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting MamaLauri:

Totally agree. The fact that Sam used an appropriate behavior and she didn't reward that, tells me she's not a good aba therapist.

She didn't even try to build repoire or pair herself first. You are supposed to do that for like two weeks first!

What was she thinking? 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Hopefully something good will come out of this.  Maybe she won't be the most productive with Sam, but if it ends up her recommending different placement, then maybe that is your gain.  I don't understand all about ABA, even though we're doing it, lol.  But I understand it works great for some, not as great for others.  When does she plan to actually start trying to work with him?  

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

What is "pair herself" mean??  We just started ABA a this week too and have not heard that term?

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting MamaLauri:

What was she thinking? 

It means "associate with" so like doing a favorite activity w/ a kid only for the first two weeks will associate a positive feeling from the child to the person, so the child sees the person and automatically associates a fun, happy time.

In laymen's terms, its just building repoire. Before you ask someone to do difficult tasks, they gotta trust you that you like them, etc.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM
She, by the way, made herself into an aversive event. Meaning Sam associates her with a terrible time! Smh
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM
Yeah, I wasn't too happy either. When she comes Monday I need to buy a new Lego set for the two of them to build together to "make up" for this oversight.
Hoping the fun Legos will bond them quick. :)

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid: She, by the way, made herself into an aversive event. Meaning Sam associates her with a terrible time! Smh
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Oh, I see thanks.  We started ABA this week too with two of my kids, but went right in to the work.  I guess because our therapist is my kids old sped teacher, we just kind of skipped the 'pairing part' as they already know each other. 

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting MamaLauri:

What was she thinking? 

It means "associate with" so like doing a favorite activity w/ a kid only for the first two weeks will associate a positive feeling from the child to the person, so the child sees the person and automatically associates a fun, happy time. In laymen's terms, its just building repoire. Before you ask someone to do difficult tasks, they gotta trust you that you like them, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)