Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My son just attacked me.

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:28 PM
  • 25 Replies
I need to vent. Again. My typically very sweet angel of a 2 year old has been on a violent rampage all week. I mostly thought it was due to teething as once he gets some Motrin and I get some oil out he calms down. I get why that would be so frustrating for him. But just about an hour ago, his iPad died unexpectedly. He literally chased me around the house for 30 mins screaming, pinching me (I am full of marks) and trying to bite me. I have never been afraid of him before. What's worse is nobody seems to be of any understanding today. My dad basically scolded me for calling my husband at work and distracting him, and one of my friends asked if it was because he is too dependent on his iPad. He gets his iPad one hour a day after therapy. That's it. No TV, no iPad dependency, just BAD timing and a poor reaction to it unexpectedly dying when he was in the middle of something. What is happening to him??? I'm so upset right now. I was already having an awful week worrying about our benefits and now it seems my son Is becoming violent.
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM

You said Motrin normally calms him down .... maybe he's getting sick? My daughter went on a violent rampage about 3 months ago and I seriously thought she was just developing those aggressive behaviors and I became super depressed over it. Then the developmental pedi mentioned making sure she wasn't sick first ( I asked about her behaviors because they were so out of the norm). I took her to the dr and she had a ear infection. It took the whole time on the antibiotics plus another week, but finally once all traces of illness was gone, she went back to my lovable daughter and I haven't seen a single sign of aggression since.

The things she did was like your son flipping over the ipad dieing. My daughter would trip over something and she'd get furious at the object that tripped her and would hit it, kick it, scream at it and bang her head into it. If I used a toy the wrong way, she'd rip it out of my hand and throw it and then start kicking and screaming. She banged her head ALOT during that time. It was all pain related.

Hugs ..... sounds odd but I hope he's sick, so that when he can get well and not be violent anymore. :/

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Jul. 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Awww thank you maybe he is sick?? No fever but two molars coming in and was ripping at his mouth the other day. I suppose anything is possible and funny to say but I hope he is sick too. So unlike him.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

You said Motrin normally calms him down .... maybe he's getting sick? My daughter went on a violent rampage about 3 months ago and I seriously thought she was just developing those aggressive behaviors and I became super depressed over it. Then the developmental pedi mentioned making sure she wasn't sick first ( I asked about her behaviors because they were so out of the norm). I took her to the dr and she had a ear infection. It took the whole time on the antibiotics plus another week, but finally once all traces of illness was gone, she went back to my lovable daughter and I haven't seen a single sign of aggression since.

The things she did was like your son flipping over the ipad dieing. My daughter would trip over something and she'd get furious at the object that tripped her and would hit it, kick it, scream at it and bang her head into it. If I used a toy the wrong way, she'd rip it out of my hand and throw it and then start kicking and screaming. She banged her head ALOT during that time. It was all pain related.

Hugs ..... sounds odd but I hope he's sick, so that when he can get well and not be violent anymore. :/

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:14 PM
I finally got ahold of Sydney his senior therapist. She thinks it sounds like what your saying, where he is in pain and aggression is his outlet because he isn't feeling well. These teeth can cut any day now. What a day.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM

When my son at age 3 started hitting me and his dad we would put him in a time out and teach him to use his words, "We do not hit, we use our words, I'm angry."  Within 2 months of teaching this he started to use his words.  We continued with time outs and teaching to use his words.  By age 4 95% time he use his words and not hit.  Now at 6 he uses his words 99% of the time. 

I was scared too when my son started hitting me but it was originally due to his verbal language becoming jumbled, unable to understand.  I used to lock the gate to my room in my house so my son would not touch me.  Fortunatly my husband became temporarly disabled and could not work, so he stayed home and helped with our son's time outs/teachings.  Eventually our son got used to time outs and I was able to do time outs on my own when my husband went back to work.

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Does he have a chew T ? Thoes are great when tthey are cutting molars

Quoting Maxsmommy123: I finally got ahold of Sydney his senior therapist. She
thinks it sounds like what your saying, where he is in pain and aggression is his outlet because he isn't feeling well. These teeth can cut any day now. What a day.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Big hugs mama!!  Age 2-4 was the worst for my son.  It does evolve and get better.  Just hang in there.  I'm sure the teeth make him extra agitated (or the motrin/oils).  My son can react very poorly to some meds that shouldn't cause a reaction; screams increase, aggression, less language, etc.  Maybe switch to tylonal for a day or two and see if you get anything different.  Hugs! 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Big hugs! My typical 2 yo is driving me crazy lately...I swear there is something in the air. Hope you are able to figure out what is bothering your little guy.

FireMoonGypsy
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM

This. 

Quoting emarin77:

When my son at age 3 started hitting me and his dad we would put him in a time out and teach him to use his words, "We do not hit, we use our words, I'm angry."  Within 2 months of teaching this he started to use his words.  We continued with time outs and teaching to use his words.  By age 4 95% time he use his words and not hit.  Now at 6 he uses his words 99% of the time. 

I was scared too when my son started hitting me but it was originally due to his verbal language becoming jumbled, unable to understand.  I used to lock the gate to my room in my house so my son would not touch me.  Fortunatly my husband became temporarly disabled and could not work, so he stayed home and helped with our son's time outs/teachings.  Eventually our son got used to time outs and I was able to do time outs on my own when my husband went back to work.

"The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth" - Lao Tzu

Bellavy
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:29 AM
My 3 yes old was the same way, too when he was around 2. Every time iPad or iPhone died he would throw it and cries I set him straight, I kneeled down and held his face straight forcing him to look at me and told him: if ur iPad or iPhone ever ran out of battery u come and give it to me and say no more battery, u do not throw things bc I will take them away from u. Thank God, after that talk he stopped and be more respectful to his electronic toys now. Good luck.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 6:47 AM
Oh Jamie, I'm sorry to read this. I'm in agreement with everyone else.. I'm thinking the molars (or some physical issue) is compromising his ability to handle additional stressors.
:(
Hope his teeth break thru... Hope he feels better soon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)