Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

no sugar for one week...

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:37 AM
  • 15 Replies

Just want to share...my son and I went on a "no processed sugar for one week" experiement. We were watching an exciting movie yesterday and I looked over and NO FLAPPING, then I watched for the rest of the night and NO FLAPPING! My son can not get through an hour without this release normally. Sugar is the only thing we changed!!! 

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Congratulations...maybe you are on to something...

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Fantastic!!!!

You may want to steer him toward a low glycemic load diet.

Processed sugar is the highest glycemic load causing a energy spike which gradually damages your pancreas in all and frequently causes hyperactivity especially in kids.

jeepasaurusrex
by New Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I work with kiddos and adults on the spectrum having behavioral difficulties.  We have a wonderful holistic physican that checks the body first for allergies (I love that she doesnt go straight to meds).  Brilliant.  She figures out what foods to eliminate and what supplements to prescribe.  I am lucky enough to follow these individuals behavioral progress (taking data) and I see behaviors (aggression, SIB) reduce or become eliminated completly with dietary changes.  I know it is the way to go.

Keep it up!!!!!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Wow! That is great. Keep it up!

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I too have found my daughter's behaviors improve when we get rid of the sugar. I just have to figure out how to keep is going on a daily basis. Last time we tried something extremely stressful occurred in the family and I went to comforting foods ..... alot of them being sweets :(

K1tten
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Zion is the same way when I cut out his sugar, he isn't all over the place. He will sit still for longer periods of time. My husband is a junk fod junkie so i tell him to hide his stash, don't eat it in front of Zion and for some reason it seems he never listens and Zion ends up with sugar and I end up with him bouncing off the wall and hubby walks away. Frustrating!

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Wow! That's great.

Did you experience headaches from cutting out sugar? I've heard that can happen sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Awesome.  Keep us posted on how it goes.

brennan5882300
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Wow that is awesome!  I know sugar is a hard habit to break so hooray for you guys!  :)

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Wow! That's awesome

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN