Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

We have come a LONG way

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM
  • 6 Replies
My son is high functioning young adult. Always prejudged and misunderstood as most of u will find out. I would love to know if there are activities for these ppl in Riverside,Ca area to have him socialize and be able to interact where he may feel like he belongs without pressure.
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I am glad to hear your son is doing well.

Martial arts programs that teach respect (of self and others) is an excellent high growth way for fitness and low pressure social. You must watch out and respect others, as you progress you are mentored and mentor others.

If he qualifies, Therapeutic Riding is an other great high growth but low pressure social activity. He can start out a client and progress to a helper.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I'm not sure but glad things are going well and I hope you find some things for him to do! 

xox3
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Thank you. He has been active in Martial arts but he goes into hus world and gets overly excited and needs to be reminded to stay in control. I will definitely look into riding. God Bless! Thank you
dawncs
by Dawn on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I recommend connecting with www.ymca.net and www.thearc.org. They should have some connections. I also recommend www.autismspeaks.org because they might have a list of things.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Welcome!  We are in Virginia.  Good luck!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I was going to suggest ARC also...our friends got their son involved with Easter Seals...He works and earns a little pay and they also encourage working as a team and taking the boredom out of their days. Their son LOVES it!

Quoting dawncs:

I recommend connecting with www.ymca.net and www.thearc.org. They should have some connections. I also recommend www.autismspeaks.org because they might have a list of things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)