Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

VBS at our church tonight

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ashton had a great night.. There are 5 boys with autism in his class..out of 20 or so kids.  His teachers have a granddaughter with autism so they understand.  The only thing is when I walked in to pick up Ashton the one boy, who goes to our church and I am friends with his parents, was hanging on Ashton and touching his face and I could tell that was making Ashton uncomfortable so I said something to the boy..who has known me for years and he wouldn't listen so the one teacher had to come over and remove him... I guess that boy had a really rough night.   Hopefully the rest of the week for Ashton goes well. These things can be a bit much for him and its a lot of sensory overload and a lot of kids! I taught the 3 year old class and we only had 8, so my little guy was even able to tag along..he is only 2.5.. They were a sweet class. Just my ramblings  for the night,.. What's going on at your house this week?

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Glad everyone got through and had a good time.  Church is one place very difficult to take my son/daughter with ASD.  It is a big, busy church, loud music, etc.  We keep trying each year, but they can't quite do Sunday school/kid night activities, and nursary is not equipped for them.  My daughter can not do the organ music, and my son can't do all the people, noise, stimulation.  I'm glad you are able to all be involved.  We take turns taking our older two kids, and one of us stays with the other two.

This week for us is just ABA every day, which makes for very busy but fast days. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:02 PM

My husbands the pastor so it's all my kids know...lol... I think that's why we get as many families as we have with special needs because we are so open about it. Our church isn't big, only around 150 and no organ music but a praise band which some kids on the spectrum seem to love but Ashton can only handle so many songs and he is done. Our vbs is very lively and we get a lot of kids from the community so it is different than a typical church day but Ashton is adapting to it the older he gets. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Glad everyone got through and had a good time.  Church is one place very difficult to take my son/daughter with ASD.  It is a big, busy church, loud music, etc.  We keep trying each year, but they can't quite do Sunday school/kid night activities, and nursary is not equipped for them.  My daughter can not do the organ music, and my son can't do all the people, noise, stimulation.  I'm glad you are able to all be involved.  We take turns taking our older two kids, and one of us stays with the other two.

This week for us is just ABA every day, which makes for very busy but fast days. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:04 PM

How is ABA going?

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I think really good.  She has had my kids for 2 years as their teacher, and has always tried every trick in the books to get them to learn and progress.  Always fresh, innovative (but of course within the constraints of the school system).  Now with ABA she swears this method is just what they needed and is opening doors already.  Of course our school system did not have it as an option, nor any training/support for teachers wanting to try it.  She's sold, and I'd be surprised if she ever makes it back to school...unless it is as an ABA therapist, lol!  We are all getting along well and having fun each day, so it's good.  I think if I had to have a therapist in my home all day, every day this really is the best person for us.  No weirdness.

Quoting Charizma77:

How is ABA going?

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM

That is great!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I think really good.  She has had my kids for 2 years as their teacher, and has always tried every trick in the books to get them to learn and progress.  Always fresh, innovative (but of course within the constraints of the school system).  Now with ABA she swears this method is just what they needed and is opening doors already.  Of course our school system did not have it as an option, nor any training/support for teachers wanting to try it.  She's sold, and I'd be surprised if she ever makes it back to school...unless it is as an ABA therapist, lol!  We are all getting along well and having fun each day, so it's good.  I think if I had to have a therapist in my home all day, every day this really is the best person for us.  No weirdness.

Quoting Charizma77:

How is ABA going?

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad things went well overall...hope it stays that way!  Busy week for us...work, therapy, etc. as usual, and we're leaving on Thursday night to fly to Colorado for my hubby's family reunion we go to every other year.  We will be there until Wednesday.  

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Night 2 went even better.

Have a great trip! 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Glad things went well overall...hope it stays that way!  Busy week for us...work, therapy, etc. as usual, and we're leaving on Thursday night to fly to Colorado for my hubby's family reunion we go to every other year.  We will be there until Wednesday.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Yay!  Thanks:)

Quoting Charizma77:

Night 2 went even better.

Have a great trip! 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

mightymo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM

We brought our grandson to church with us ,he looked around and said I really like this church,then they started having problems with the sound system and getting a lot screeching feedback,I noticed my grandson sinking lower in his seat,it got to be too much (noise) for him we left and we can't get him to go back

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Church is one place that Logan cannot tolerate. We usually went to a restaurant after church so now Logan keeps screaming "Freddie's restaurant" through the whole service. We have tried books, workbooks - you name it. And it doesn't change his focus. We even tried not going to the restaurant afterward and...no change. We are embarrassed to leave in the middle of the service so we just stopped going..at least for now. My oldest son goes to a different church so I tag with him sometimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN