Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

hand banging problem

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:28 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've been trying to keep my son active... so I could see what he can't and can not handle... so far so good... but he develop this head banging and bitting again... when he hit his head it don't bother him and he does it randomly... and the bitting... I don't wanna let him hit his head... but I know he gonna do it anyway... his dad and I tell him to stop...he get mad and do it again...
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Some ASD kids see pain as only coming from the external world. They do not understand that they can hurt themselves. Today he is enjoying the sensation or using it to block out external stimuli. What is occurring when he does this? Is he self-soothing? Are there other noises or lights that might be hurting him? Address these first.

Make a movie of him banging his head. Show him what happens if you/he bang a peach or other fruit (watermelon) against the wall. It gets hurt. Show him he is hurting himself.

Also try a replacement behavior for self soothing (rocking in a rocking chair while petting a stuffed toy).

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Logan is a head banger too. We had to resort to getting him a helmet.

Carm_mir
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Thank u for the advice... imma try showing him a video... I'm not sure if its the light cause the lights b on a lot (cause he scared of anything black such as the dark)... but I b trying to tell him... that he could hurt himself... and u right about self soothing cause when he do it... he feel calm...

Quoting MamaLauri:

Some ASD kids see pain as only coming from the external world. They do not understand that they can hurt themselves. Today he is enjoying the sensation or using it to block out external stimuli. What is occurring when he does this? Is he self-soothing? Are there other noises or lights that might be hurting him? Address these first.

Make a movie of him banging his head. Show him what happens if you/he bang a peach or other fruit (watermelon) against the wall. It gets hurt. Show him he is hurting himself.

Also try a replacement behavior for self soothing (rocking in a rocking chair while petting a stuffed toy).

Carm_mir
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM
I was talking to his dad about a helmet but it didn't get that bad yet... he recently started it last week

Quoting Logansmom1999:

Logan is a head banger too. We had to resort to getting him a helmet.

Macphee
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds did this. It is for attention. If he has had blood work. Rule out allergy or metabolism issues first.

If he is not bleeding, ignore. He is doing it for attention . Catch him being good and reinforce.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is a biter & whenever I see him getting ready to bite himself or me I redirect him to a pillow. As for head banging you might want to get a helmet so he doesn't hurt himself.
Carm_mir
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:05 PM
If the head banging gets worse then that's what I'm going to do... and I'm going to try the pillow method for biting..
Thank you so much

Quoting wildchild.com: My son is a biter & whenever I see him getting ready to bite himself or me I redirect him to a pillow. As for head banging you might want to get a helmet so he doesn't hurt himself.
Macphee
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine just started biting himself. He started when our dog nipped him. We are ignoring and just push his arms away from his mouth.

I don't think it's soft stimming, because he'll later tell me I hurt me. Self biting
And punching have been for a month. But he isn't escaping anymore, follows direction. Self injury and screaming.... Oh how the spectrum feels like a roller coaster

Quoting wildchild.com: My son is a biter & whenever I see him getting ready to bite himself or me I redirect him to a pillow. As for head banging you might want to get a helmet so he doesn't hurt himself.
Carm_mir
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:11 PM
I don't think it bother him when he hit his head but normally i will put my hands on his head so when he troed to hit his head... my hand will stop him... but far as biting... he mainly like to bite me or his dad... ill just tell him no biting... yes its definitely a roller coaster ride

Quoting Macphee: Mine just started biting himself. He started when our dog nipped him. We are ignoring and just push his arms away from his mouth.

I don't think it's soft stimming, because he'll later tell me I hurt me. Self biting
And punching have been for a month. But he isn't escaping anymore, follows direction. Self injury and screaming.... Oh how the spectrum feels like a roller coaster

Mwheels72
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Boxing helmets with face guards are a good place to start for protecting himself from hurting his face. My son starting doing this when he was in pain from double ear infections. Try first to see if there is anything medically causing him pain. Sometimes I have read, autistic kids like to displace pain somewhere else to distract from where actual pain is. So first check to see if there are any medical issues like teeth hurting or body pain somewhere with a doc or dentist. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN