Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How do I make sense of all this IEP paperwork?!

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:28 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son is switching school districts and they want a copy of his iep. I got the folder out and I have no idea what they need! I have Readiness Goal Pages, Reevaluation Team Reports, Prior Written Notices, Amendments Between IEP Meetings, PLAAFPs, Accomodation/Modification Services...on and on and on...

I'm so overwhelmed. I also was going to try and make an organized filing system but...sigh... Any advice?

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Give them the packet, but first copy it and mark what has worked. Then write what you would like to see happen in measurable goals. Give them the marked version and your desires. What did not work at all can be bundled together in the back with a sign.

We can help you if you like.

Nicole_2007
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I would make copies and then give them that.  They probably whant his most recient IEP and whet he is working on.  When we moved from Missouri to Iowa thats all her school wanted was the most recient one buts its nice for them to have everything so they know what he is working on and what all he has worked on in the past

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I would guess the last IEP he had.  I would call the new school to comfirm.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I'd give them a copy of everything you have.  This way they can't say they aren't prepared.  Good luck!

cheyenne2
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Sounds like something I'll be doing with my son soon. He was assesed including vision and hearing to rule out any other problems . These documents can be so confusing  you would have to weed through the stuff that makes sense and leave trhe complicated documents for quetioning..good luck

dawncs
by Dawn on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I recommend giving them a copy of the entire thing, but I recommend keeping a copy of your own in case it gets lost. I recommend reading www.wrightslaw.com.

Mwheels72
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Well it never hurts to just ask. We've moved through the military time and they have always asked for the most recent IEP goals from last year or current school you are transferring from. (make copies for them and origionals you keep) Also you can schedule a IEP meeting with the team anytime you need to, to make provisions. So schedule a meeting for each new school year with those goals as well as writing down anything else you want to work on that you didn't do last year. Also anytime there are new changes for diagnoses they should be put in the IEP as well. If you share anything with the school medically school usually ask you to sign a release form for that information and that is optional. school bus

Mwheels72
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM

specialchildren.about.com/od/specialeducation/a/iepfaq.htm this website will help you get organized with the IEP. 

svolkov
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Its good to have a full history on each student. Dont pick and choose...because what you may deem as important and what they may need could differ

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I'd give them a copy of everything you have.  This way they can't say they aren't prepared.  Good luck!

AmaliaD
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:23 PM
I don't know if u should give them everything, they need a copy of his current iep. If you want to be nice include the papers from his last evaluation or modification. But they don't need the whole history. It would be good to get a fresh perspective with new people and if you think they're way off base, then present his old schools documentation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN