Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What's the most annoying stim your child has had?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM
  • 48 Replies

I'm watching D bounce on his yoga ball right now and I swear the house is bouncing with it...but it doesn't bother me. Annoying would be the brief time (thank GOD) he would clear his throat each 4 seconds of his day. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to go hide for a while until that noise went away!

What about your child? Any stims you find annoying?

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM

And he grinds his teeth in his sleep!! But then so do I embarrassed

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
The spitting drives me crazy! Now he spits on his hands. Thank god it is starting to get less! Today he was spitting on his hands and I could hear him role play what people have told him about it.

He spits, then says eww, that gross. You need stop it!

I asked what he was doing and asked him to stop. But then he tells me that he is only spitting on his own hands. Not anything else. So, then I try to explain that he touches people after he spits. He said, I promise I won't touch anyone. It's my hand! How can I argue with that anymore. I hate spitting!!!
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Poop and paint all over his walls/bedroom ranks right up there with me.  That and the scream, ugh!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:37 PM

My little one does that while awake.  Very annoying!

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Quoting Nickmom1118: The spitting drives me crazy! Now he spits on his hands. Thank god it is starting to get less! Today he was spitting on his hands and I could hear him role play what people have told him about it. He spits, then says eww, that gross. You need stop it! I asked what he was doing and asked him to stop. But then he tells me that he is only spitting on his own hands. Not anything else. So, then I try to explain that he touches people after he spits. He said, I promise I won't touch anyone. It's my hand! How can I argue with that anymore. I hate spitting!!!

Oh no! It makes me think of my nephew who'd watch the older guys spit like it was cool, so he would do it too. The problem was he didn;t get it yet and would usually spit down his shirt or somethng...lol! It drove my sister crazy! 

But jeez, at least Nick is showing good manners and wont touch anyone or spit on them, right???blank stare

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I do THAT too....Jeez! Wondering who's stims are more annoying now...mine or his!LOL!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

My little one does that while awake.  Very annoying!

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Well, the spitting was gone for a while. But it came back and he was spitting on the floor and anything that he felt like. But we have been working on that. So now he is just spitting on himself. He usually does touch other people, and that is why I constantly talk to him about it when he does. He has some oral motor stims that just drive me crazy. If it's not spitting, then it's chewing or putting everything in his mouth. :/

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Quoting Nickmom1118: The spitting drives me crazy! Now he spits on his hands. Thank god it is starting to get less! Today he was spitting on his hands and I could hear him role play what people have told him about it.

He spits, then says eww, that gross. You need stop it!

I asked what he was doing and asked him to stop. But then he tells me that he is only spitting on his own hands. Not anything else. So, then I try to explain that he touches people after he spits. He said, I promise I won't touch anyone. It's my hand! How can I argue with that anymore. I hate spitting!!!

Oh no! It makes me think of my nephew who'd watch the older guys spit like it was cool, so he would do it too. The problem was he didn;t get it yet and would usually spit down his shirt or somethng...lol! It drove my sister crazy! 

But jeez, at least Nick is showing good manners and wont touch anyone or spit on them, right???blank stare

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:37 AM

He has a lot of stims...probably the spitting/drooling is the most annoying!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Not exactly a stim but my son is awfully penis-centric lately. Every time I look at him he is adjusting, fiddling, squeezing or otherwise messing with that thing. I know I don't have one but seriously, does life REALLY have to revolve around those things? :) Hope I made you laugh honey!

The thing my son does that bugs me the most is repeating everything I say, he says over and over again. DRIVES ME BATTY...about once a month I total freak out on him about it but it has no effect at all. I know it is a processing thing but god help me...hang in there!~  xoxo

johnns
by Johnna on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:32 AM
My teen boys flew back to TN for 10 days, needless to say Sally & I got to spend A LOT of time together! I've got a list! Lol, not that bad. Ok, so she's batting her eyelashes- trying to look sweet, but when she does all the time it looks funny and almost like a tick now. Lol Mostly it's her OCD crap that makes me crazy, she really doesn't stim. Just how certain things have to be just so or she freaks out. Personally, the whole OCD FREAKS me out! It's not as bad as some have it. I'm just the opposite- I can't stand too much of a routine, I hardly do anything the same way twice. What can I say, I get bored easily. So it takes a lot of patience on my part to deal with all of that. Haha Lord help us all, right?!?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)