Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is your child verbal or non-verbal?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Amy
  • 78 Replies
If your child is non-verbal do you expect that to change someday?
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2girls0506
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this

she's verbal but she talks a lot in cartoon.... repeats whole shows i know there is a name for it but I can't think of it.  I hope for it to change one day.

Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this
My child is also crtoon verbal. I was too until about eight or nine but I only began speaking at five. I got better and so will my boy.
Mwheels72
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:21 PM

My son has been nonverbal since the age of 1.5 now almost 7. I am always hopeful but  for now we are working on speech with PEC cards, meds for ADHD, evaluations for triple diagnosis of autism, ADHD and intellectual disability.

samomama
by Sally on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM

My son is very verbal. He is on target for his age language wise, and I sure hope that doesn't change. His speech is often flat though, with not much intonation, which was one of the red flags for the diagnosis.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM
Sounds a lot like my son, but he also sometimes stops mid-word to take a breath.

Quoting samomama:

My son is very verbal. He is on target for his age language wise, and I sure hope that doesn't change. His speech is often flat though, with not much intonation, which was one of the red flags for the diagnosis.

cheyenne2
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Hopefully . The organizatrion my son is with just gave him a really intense assessment for this schoolyear . Slowly but surely Bubb is expressing the letters,etc he sees and hears . One day at a time . 

samomama
by Sally on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:45 PM

When was your son diagnosed? What sorts of therapies is he in? We are very new to this. DS turned 3 yo 10 days ago.

Quoting amonkeymom: Sounds a lot like my son, but he also sometimes stops mid-word to take a breath.
Quoting samomama:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Both my almost 6 year olds are technically labled non-verbal.  My son speaks with echolalia meaning he repeats what he hears as memorized phrases and speaks them at the correct times (mostly).  His teachers, speach therapists, and ABA therapist are trying to teach him spontaneous language.  He can say quite a bit, but because it is mainly echolalia, it is still considered non-verbal technically.  I don't really see him that way anymore, I use to when he only had a scream and no language up until getting help a little before 3.

My daughter is non-verbal with no effective form of communication, so she is who I really consider non-verbal in our home.  We have and continue to try PECS, Sign, Communication device, verbal language, etc.  I am hopefully she developes some form of communication to help her through her life and 'speak' for her wants and needs.  Every year  she ages I decrease a little bit of really thinking she will truly talk, but I never decrease in the hope that she will some day do so.  I would love to hear her little voice, but it is much more important to me she is able to somehow communicate her choices, needs, and opinions as any person should be able to be heard.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't spell it right, but echolalia.  My son has it too. 

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

she's verbal but she talks a lot in cartoon.... repeats whole shows i know there is a name for it but I can't think of it.  I hope for it to change one day.

dannix7x
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM
2 moms liked this
My son is 3.5 and everyday becomes more verbal. He has had a regression before but I expect his language to continue to grow. Hopefully. I am just happy he isn't shrieking any more.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN