Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good books to read?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM
  • 8 Replies

Does anyone have any good books to read about Autism? I was just recommended these two by my sister's friend and coworker who has an autistic son and said they were great books:

"There's a Boy in Here: Emerging from the Bonds of Autism" by Judy Barron and Sean Barron 

(this is written by the mother and the son (who has Autism). It is from both point of views. I just started reading it, but so far I think it's a good book. The mom talks about her frustrations with raising her autistic son and trying to figure out what's going on and what to do, while the son chimes in every so often and explains why he did the things he did, the like repetitive things.

"No More Meltdowns: Positive strategies for managing and preventing out-of-control behavior" by Jed Baker, Ph.D.

I haven't read this one yet. My mom just finished it and said she took lots of notes from it for us. That'll be my next read after I'm done this book.          

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
emarin77
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM

My son's psychologist, Vera Joffe wrote "Hi, my name is Matt, I have Aspergers Syndrome and gave the story to my son.  It discusses sensory issues and what abilities the child has. She has her own website where you can purchase the story.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM
I loved the explosive child by Ross Greene.
Raising a sensory smart child by biel
The sensory sensitive child by smith and gouze
Asperger's syndrome and sensory issues by Myles (not 100 percent sure of author)

For kids I love Hartley steiners "Gabriel at school " and "arnie and his school tools"

Jed baker is good. I've read his books- I like his social skills guide. My son thought it was funny... But helpful.

Michelle Garcia winners "social detective" is great too.
Jenn8604
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM
I like Autism's Hidden Blessings by Kelly Langston, Autism: A practical guide for parents by Alan You, The special needs parents handbook (I forget who it's by),
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mwheels72
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

The Out of Sync Child, and Everything your need to know about Autism (good book for first time diagnosis moms)

Nicole_2007
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed: Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism

by Jeannie Davide Rivera

lady_katie
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Loved Carly's Voice!
samomama
by Sally on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I liked:

"Look me in the Eye: My life with Asperger's" (an autobiography);

Ido in Autismland (also an autobiography by a more severly affected autistic man)

I ordered and waiting to arrive:

A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive;

and

The Parents' Guide to Teaching Kids with Asperger Syndrome and Similar ASDs Real-Life Skills for Independence.

I hope I find them useful.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2014 at 5:26 AM

I've honestly never read one....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)