Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

im a fixer and cant fix this!

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

New to this forum and desperately need help.  I have a 22 year old son.  He was diagnosed with severe learning disabilty and communication disorder since he was 2

I have always known he was on the spectrum--but not until the last 4 months thought he would be ok

He is now displaying major autistic symptoms--ritualistic behaviors, facial mannerisms, manic behavior.  This has all started in the last few months.

The strange thing is when he is out- away from the house he is completely normal  
As soon as he walks into the front door all these behaviors manifest themselves.  He is a completely different person.

He is VERY OCD.  His behavior is scaring me and i dont know how to help him, ety He is soo full of anxiety

We have not seen a doctor since his behavior has been tolerable up until a few months ago.

I dont know where to begin to get help.  I feel he needs medication to calm down at night.

The only thing that calms him down is to take his somewhere.  I was a special education teacher for 22 years and have a masters degree in education and my son has me stumped

What to do

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
samomama
by Sally on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM

I would ask for a professional help. Is your son in any kind of therapy? Is he verbal, does he talk to you sometimes about his feelings? Don't try to fix things by yourself. Sounds like you do need to call some numbers and make appointments. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2014 at 5:10 AM

I agree with Sally above...hugs mama!

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:59 AM

I would get a referral to a neuro psychologist.  A younger child could also see a developmental pediatrician or developmental psychologist.  I'm just not sure where the age cut off is.  These docs can diagnose and medicate if needed.  

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:10 AM
I agree with all the advice above. Video tape the behavior. Are you sure it isn't Tourette's? It just reminds me of my friends son who has it. He is very OCD and everything you described. Out in public he's as normal as can be but at home he is a mess. No dr believed her until she showed them a video. I guess people with Tourette's can hold it in until they get home where they feel safe.
Please keep us updated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WarriorMum
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM

My 19 year old 'contains' himself when out of the home. The moment he walks in the door, he release his 'valve', the stimms go through the roof etc. If his behaviour is not causing any harm to him or others, trust him to handle how he is. It may take some shifting in your parenting. I had to take a step back when I realized Dude was able to manage outside of our home, afterall, that was always my aim should it be that the day comes that I'm not around to buffer him. It was hard to take that step back, especially after spending all those years with an end goal in sight. Yet when the goal was reached, I didn't know what to do next.

lady_katie
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi there! I'm autistic, and I'm able to come off as sort of normal in public (for a while), but by the time I get home, I've been "holding it in" and need to just be my real self so that I can regulate properly again. Your son has probably just learned to cope with social settings by mimicking others and suppressing autistic behaviors. Its not necessarily a bad thing, but understand that when he's appearing normal in public, he's probably faking it. As far as calming down at night, try melatonin! It's all natural and works wonders. He will probably start feeling better once he starts sleeping better. I found that my anxiety improved once I cut wheat out of my diet (I found out that I'm allergic to it). It took 5 months to get it all out of my system, so it didn't happen over night. I'm very sensitive to foods and environmental allergens, so you might look into that. Also, balancing activities with down time helps a lot in general. Otherwise, there's always anti anxiety meds if you can't figure out what's causing the issue.
TheJerseyGirl
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Hi  mama! Please get professional help for him. With the right medication and therapist, this can be fixed! 

Mwheels72
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:40 PM

My daughter who is not autistic is very OCD due to seizures. She says if things are not in the right spot with her seizures if makes her very nervous. ( she has aura migranes) Room shifts. So check for things like that with a neurologist. You also said he is happy when he is outside vs. inside. What is outside that interest him? is it the fresh air? Is it the temperature in his room something with his skin? My son is 6 nonveral and loves to go for rides in the car. He keeps walking me out to the garage and taping on the side of the car. I think its the motion it gives to his body. I would check for body things first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)