• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS thinks he has a brother

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

I guess this is just a kid thing? I pretended I had imaginary friends too at this age, so maybe I'm over-thinking. But DS always talks about his brother "Oney". He runs up to strangers at the store and talks about him, talks to my friends about him, and to other children about him. I assume I am not Oney's mom because he talks about him differently to me than about his little sister. It's always "my brother Oney has..." or "at my brother Oney's house...." etc. It's cute. He says Oney lives in the desert next to Love Cool Falling, which is some amazing amusement park (he made that up also). Any of your kids do this?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicole_2007
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Wow I wonder if it is a imaginary friend.  None of my kids have done this yet

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Yep! Sam had a brother too!!
Bobcatridge
by Carol on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM

My daughter had various imaginary friends and some were pretty serious and went for years.  She also really believed dragons and fairies were real until she was 11 almost 12.  She also believed all her stuffed animals were alive.  We live rurally and she is an only child so I figured it might be related to being lonely but none of the NT kids at school had such consistent strong imaginary friends.  Now that my daughter is 13, I have talked to her about it and I think the imaginary friends were kind of stims that helped her relax and relate to the world in her own way. 

samomama
by Sally on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM

That's cute! :)

DS is making up stories. But he has no imaginary friends (or siblings). But he's only 3, who knows what will come up in the future :)

Owl_Feather
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM

awww I used to believe my animals came to life when I left the room. I often set them up in a circle on my bed so they could have meetings lol

Quoting Bobcatridge:

My daughter had various imaginary friends and some were pretty serious and went for years.  She also really believed dragons and fairies were real until she was 11 almost 12.  She also believed all her stuffed animals were alive.  We live rurally and she is an only child so I figured it might be related to being lonely but none of the NT kids at school had such consistent strong imaginary friends.  Now that my daughter is 13, I have talked to her about it and I think the imaginary friends were kind of stims that helped her relax and relate to the world in her own way. 

Jenn8604
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Cute
I hope mine gets an imaginary friend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 26, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Yes, my son had very vivid imaginary friends but this sounds like it could me more than that. Our children are so sensitive so who knows, maybe he is in contact with some other world :) 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:37 AM
I think it's cute!!!
gingerwoman
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:15 PM

My little one with AS brought a picture of myself at 3 that he'd found over to me and said (very happy) "It's a sister! It's Jackson's sister" I felt bad for him because he wants a baby sister and that is out of the question but he does have a very loving big brother. It ws both funny and slightly sad he thought a picture of me at 3 must be his sister. He was 7 when he did that, he's 8 now.

ShellsRoper83
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Yup, totally normal. My ds has imaginary Pokémon friends and goes on "journeys" with them. LoLoLoL! He also has ASD and ADHD.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)