Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nightly Nightmares?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:42 AM
  • 4 Replies
My son is 2 and has had nightmares or "bad dreams" since practically birth. We ghost ave dealt with it so long it didn't even occur to me it was an issue until we put him in daycare and it became nightterrors and I bhai stead of some whimpering once a night it was crying and whimpering once per hour, we took him out of daycare, and he's gone back to once or twice a night, he self soothes so I don't think I ever brought it up or thought about it before. Anyway he has several of the characteristics of autism and I was wondering if anyone has any insight or advice? Setting up referrals Monday
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tonijoy79
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:52 AM

my son hasnt suffered them since birth, but does have very strict comfort routines with me to get to sleep and will often wake in the night now. when he is stressed he has night terrors, and has had them since he has had to spend 4 days a week away from me (2 at kindy, helping his speech and social so much, and 2 with his father, no nights yet) and i get maybe one night a fortnight that he sleeps through til 5, then he still crawls into my bed. I found 2 years ago as well, that i started him on 3 days a week at daycare, and he had nightterrors, i took it back to the 2 days and the terrors stopped. That said, i have not had a solid night sleep since my son was born, he has always been a restless sleeper, but not with the whimpering and crying, just a very light sleeper. i had a month of him sleeping through, and a nice settled routine for about 3 months, and of that 3 when he did wake i could settle him with patting in his bed, but now, its into bed with me with an elaborate sleep routine.

it can be a major response to stress in their life now it has escalated, he may be a restless, light sleeper like my son, and the kindy just aggravated it. i dont think its an autism thing as such, just some kids are like that, i know of other autistic kids that sleep like logs and the whole night through from about 3 months old.

good luck mumma

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:55 AM

If you are concerned your son has ASD you are right to ask for a referral.  Request one to a developmental pediatrician or developmental psychologist.  You can also take the MCHAT at autismspeaks.org that evaluates red flags for ASD that you can then discuss with your doctor.  Sleeping issues alone will not be a cause for ASD though.  You could also ask your doc about melatonin or a weighted blanket that may assist with the sleep issues.  Good luck.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:11 AM
I agree here. Hugs!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

If you are concerned your son has ASD you are right to ask for a referral.  Request one to a developmental pediatrician or developmental psychologist.  You can also take the MCHAT at autismspeaks.org that evaluates red flags for ASD that you can then discuss with your doctor.  Sleeping issues alone will not be a cause for ASD though.  You could also ask your doc about melatonin or a weighted blanket that may assist with the sleep issues.  Good luck.

March142012
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:37 AM
His nightmares are just one of many quirks? His muscle tone in right side is weaker than his left. He prefers to play by himself, at gatherings in as idea or outside home he takes 30 min to 1 hour to warm up if it happens and if forced he shuts down, once warmed up he plays by himself , he has to initiate touch or he has tantrum or shuts down, he is beyond mellow most of the time, at the daycare I left before he was ready to let go of me and he had a 30 minute tantrum then didn't speak or respond for the rest of the day, he complains noises that are not loud are loud, bothered by su blight in the car, self initiates nap and bed time, doesn't like to do things out of his normal order, tantrums are 2-5 per day, affectionate with household members but beyond reserved with others, he doesnt smile often and he looks in our eyes at home but in social settings he looks down and if he responds he either keeps head doen when he talks or looks up with head tilted down i realized since infancy i have made excuses for his behavior at parties hes tired or he just woke up s, nightmares are just another thing I didn't realize might be a problem

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)