Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what does this mean for my son?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:53 AM
  • 5 Replies
When my son was 18 months old we took him to the doctors for his check up where they give you the autism questions and he failed so miserably and that's why he has been in therapy ever since. Now it's time for his 2 yr check up and I went online to autism speaks to get a look at what the questions were going to be like this time. The site let me take the test and have me a score of only 3! So what does this mean for his therapy? If they believe he no longer needs it will they stop? He still needs help with speech but every thing else on that list of questions he has caught up on. I'm happy and concerned at the same time!
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Generally once a child meets all their goals they scale back on therapy they don't just stop all together. Depends on the child and doctors/therapists

My son only gets services during the school year so he tends to regress during the summer.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Is he currently in Early Intervention? I would talk to his therapist about the near future and go from there. Hugs! 

samomama
by Sally on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

How do you feel about your son? 

If he still needs speech, he will continue getting ST (I am guessing through EI?). Your doctor will tell you. You know that the M-CHAT is just the screening tool. Some ASD kids "trick" the test. Other kids test at risk and then turnes out they aren't. I would continue with whatever you are doing now and patiently wait to see how things turn out. No, just because he scores low  on the M-CHAT, doesn't mean they will discontinue therapies. EI do their own yearly evaluation to determine if the child has cought up or needs further help.

Good luck!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I would mention your concerns to his pedi and see if they want to refer you to a developmental pedi for further evals. Hugs!!!
pandabearvirgo
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel like he still needs help with speech. He is in EI since he was 18 months old. I'm glad to hear they do there own eval to determine whether he needs to continue or not. I'm glad he is getting better but I don't want that to regress if they cut back. Thanks for the reply!

Quoting samomama:

How do you feel about your son? 

If he still needs speech, he will continue getting ST (I am guessing through EI?). Your doctor will tell you. You know that the M-CHAT is just the screening tool. Some ASD kids "trick" the test. Other kids test at risk and then turnes out they aren't. I would continue with whatever you are doing now and patiently wait to see how things turn out. No, just because he scores low  on the M-CHAT, doesn't mean they will discontinue therapies. EI do their own yearly evaluation to determine if the child has cought up or needs further help.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)