Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

flying with child with autism

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM
  • 13 Replies

thinking of taking 4 year old twins boys on plan eto florida for vacation. one has moderate ASD. 

what has everyone else experienced when flying? how do children with SD do? what are potential issues to look out for?  

thanks!!

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
My son does pretty well on planes to be honest....we are blessed. Hugs!!!
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
iPad, books, DS -- my kid does great! He's been flying since he was 6 months old... :)
samomama
by Sally on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

DS was just diagnosed.. But he is a great traveler. He was doing great as an infant and later as a toddler. He turned 3 two weeks ago. We are flying again on Friday, and he is already excited.. I hope the trend continues. 

I would prepare them mentally. Start telling them about the trip. Read books about traveling with a plane, ... Talk about it every day.

I hope all goes well and you have a great vacation.

Rhapsitee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
DS does well on planes. He likes the pressure inside the cabin and the "hum." We normally pre-board, which helps too. He doesn't like the airport though, so we typically find an open/empty area where he can run.
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

No suggestions, just a bump!  I have not taken my kids on a plane yet and do not plan to.  I don't think we could handle it.

kimber2465
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

our daughter does really well. she has a little backpack that holds ipad,word searches, a few little other things to help,

slovmom
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:35 AM

BUMP!

sorry dont know what BUMP means. clicked accidentally.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 7:38 AM

We have flown to FLA from NJ and D would say it's the best part of the trip! My older two NT kids aren't fans though, so go figure!

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I would pack games or books they love to keep them occupied in case there isn't any on demand entertainment, favorite foods or snacks, maybe visit the airprot before hand and explain what "usually" happens - waiting in the lounge, lining up to get on the plain, finding seats, stowing luggage, seat belt safety, etc etc.  And as an aside, my 10 year old FREAKS out about flushing the toilets on board - they are really loud and the vacuuming sound just does him in and i think he is afraid he is going to be sucked into the loo! If you are lucky maybe you can arrange for the kids to see the cockpit and meet the pilots? And it may be worth mentioning that your kid is  on the spectrum - I haven't felt the need to do that, but you never know.  My son has been traveling since he was about six months old and we have been very lucky to have such a good and easy traveler.  Best of luck and enjoy your trip!

marcie1455
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
My son did great on the flight. I packed Cheerios so he could munch on them on take off for his ears, (he can't chew gum) it worked well along with his iPad. I also have learned to forewarn whomever is sitting in front of us and to let them know I will be doing my best not to disrupt them. People seem more appreciative. If you are getting gate assistance double check and make sure measures are in place, including asking to board ASAP if necessary.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)