Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diagnosis

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:53 PM
  • 15 Replies

When your child first got diagnosed with autism, what was your reaction? I have a 3 year old who is going to have a diagnosis next month and i don't think I'll be able to handle it. I'm an emotional wreck. Idk if it's autism for sures, but there is something going on. What are some symptoms or key things to look for?

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh Mama, big hugs!!!  First of all, as far as symptoms and such it varies very much from child to child.  But if you visit autismspeaks.org it can give you a great list as well as the MCHAT you can take to see if your child has any 'red flags.'

As far as my reaction, well mine is probably not the typical.  With my son, I felt very triumphant and victorious to finally get the diagnosis.  I had suspected since age 2 that is what he had and was blown off repeatedly by doctors and therapists.  It took me 3 years to get the diagnosis, so I was glad.  Not because he had autism, but because with the diagnosis come services he needs.  When my daughter was diagnosed I really didn't feel anything.  She has other disabilities I had lumped her ASD signs under without realizing she could have ASD too.  So it was just kind of ok, she has this too, let's go get the needed therapies.  My children's birth experience was also one that disabilities and delays were highly possible, so we'd always known to pay attention and expect the possibilities.  We all experience the diagnosis differently, and there is no wrong answer.  Everything you are feeling is very valid and typical.  Hang in there.  Knowledge is power, and if your child has it, the diagnosis can bring the services he needs to thrive.  Good luck at your appointment!

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Autism speaks was a great place for me when I started to go through everything.

My reaction to finding out my sons diagnosis was kinda a shock. He was always delayed in several areas. And would scream and want his way. We just thought he was very stubborn! And he had his own quirks. But when he was in an inpatient feeding clinic, the psychologist pulled me aside and said she wanted to talk to me on Monday because he has red flags. Right away, I knew she was saying autism. (Even though she didn't) I came home and researched, and found this site all weekend! he was diagnosed 2 weeks later. I left the office that day in shock. By the time I hit the door, I was all tears and didn't know where to go. This board helped me more than I can describe. Everyone has their own reactions to the diagnosis. I just had to realize that my little man didn't change. I just knew how to help him!
samomama
by Sally on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

(((HUGS))) DS turned 3 this month and got an ASD diagnosis 3 days after his birthday. He was on a long waiting list... Since the begining of January. I suspected it.. He has relatively mild prsentation, but I was Autism aware and noticed red flags early on... Before he was 1. I was always worried, I was convinced he is ASD, and nevertheless, when I heard the diagnosis I couldn't keep it together. I cried. It is never easy to hear that something is going on with your child. But, at least I know the source of all of his quirks and now we can work on his needs .. Remember, a dx won't change him who he is. He will still be the same little guy you knew and loved 2 minutes before you heard the dx. And you will continue to love him. No matter what the diagnosis, he will still grow and progress with the right help.

Welcome to the board, many hugs to you, and come talk anytime you need to.. There are always some helpful mommas here. 

P.S. As far as the symptoms (red flags) go, I'd also recommend the autism speaks website.

Good luck!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome and hugs mama!  My son was diagnosed at 18 months old...we weren't too surprised but it took some time to digest it all.  

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I cried the day of the diagnosis, even though I knew something was going on and pushed to get the appointments necessary to make a diagnosis happen. All the thoughts of what it could mean for my daughter to be autistic...... it was just overwhelming. We got the diagnosis a little over a year ago and now I just take things day by day, behavior by behavior. I forced myself to stop thinking about the future all the time, and once I did that I was able to enjoy my daughter more and see what an amazing little girl she is.

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Just remember that she is the same little girl you have always loved and cherished. With a diagnosis, you just know a little more about her.

I was devastated for a few days after my son's diagnosis but then I put on my big girl panties and dove into therapy to help him. Logan has classic autism. He continues to be the light of my life.

My daughter is high functioning and we are still seeking a diagnosis. When that comes, I will be relieved. I know she is on the spectrum but just don't have that piece of paper yet.

Rhodin
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Relief, actually. DD4 was on the waiting list to be evaluated when DH got his PCS orders. It took us 5 more months to get her a new PCM and referral and get to the top of THEIR list. But, we needed that label to afford services.
lady_katie
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM
I was upset when I first realized my son was autistic, around his first birthday, but by the time we were able to actually get him diagnosed, it came as a huge relief. I was so happy to just put that fight behind me. People finally accepted that I was right all along and were willing to be a little more supportive, and services started coming easier.
faithPsalm27
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You'll be fine mom...once you go through the being sad and why me stage...you'll get angry and that's good....because it'll make you want to get things done...but first find out what's going on....then you'll know what rout to take...hugs and prayers...

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Hugs mama, it's not the end of the world. It's the beginning of a new one.
Some things to look for-toe walking,
delayed speech & lack of eye contact.
When I finally got my sons diagnosis I cried, but like I said it's not the end of the world. My son has severe autism & he's 9. He can read, has words & is a cuddle bug.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)