Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does your ASD child do any chores?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Amy
  • 20 Replies

If so, what sorts of chores does s/he do?

by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Not currently he just turned 3, he will put his toys away when asked.
lisa12121
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Of course. Naturally I have to ask him like 30 or 40 times before he does it. He is what we call "recycling boy", so he must take the bottles/cans to the bin in the garage. He never does it of his own accord, we have to tell him to do it. He is expected to bring his laundry down to the laundry room and to put his clean, folded laundry away (ususally he just dumps it on the ground, but at least it made it to his room).

karlie2
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Yes but sometimes getting him to do his chores is a big chore for me lol.
He cleans his room and his playroom (or man cave as he likes to call it).
Him and his brother take turns setting the table for supper.
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Logan has to pick up his room (with help) and take care of his dirty laundry (also with help). He isn't high functioning enough to do any more chores.

faithPsalm27
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Yes he does...my son with asd is a teen now ...but he has always had chores...its good for them...start young that way its easier when they get older...he cleans his room he takes the trash out...he helps a little with the lawn...we give him an allowance...he loves it...

kaycamp
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Yes.  JJ, my 13 year old, has really improved at following directions this summer.  He now takes the garbage out and helps with very basic wants or needs of our 11 year old boy (getting him a drink and such).  The 11 year old is in charge of letting dogs in and out.

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:26 AM

DS is 7 and he has to feed the dog in the morning and make sure he has water in his bowl, drag his laundry basket to the laundry room so I can wash his clothes, takes the recyclables out to the bin and has to pick up all his toys at the end of the day before he goes to bed.

by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM
Yes. She has to make her bed, clean up her toys, and feed the dog. All with help of course. It is in her goals for aba. She needs a lot of prompts both verbal and physical.
Macphee
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Visual chore chart for money ( credit for fun stuff)
Making his bed, cleaning up toys, setting the table, choosing clothes for next day, watering plants , feeding animals, folding laundry, dishes, sweeping (I teach him and he does it).
Noahs-Mom
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:32 AM

lol I just posted here about chores. My oldest helps bring in groceries. He also feeds the cat. I am going to add to his list... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN