Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Should I report this to the supervisor? Update

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:52 PM
  • 19 Replies

Thank you for your replies. I did report it and the supervisor took it quite seriously. She said with so many issues its best to get a new therapist and I did agree. So we will be having a new therapist soon. I hope it's for the better!

During today's aba session, my son suddenly started crying very loudly. So my husband and me knocked on the door and went inside the room. The therapist told us he banged the yellow couch as he was too excited. He was holding his eye and crying. She told him "U need to be more careful next time". Once he stopped crying, he said "I am very sad." I asked him "why are u sad?" He said "Ball banged my eye". The therapist responded with "Which ball, ball didn't bang your eye." At that moment, My husband and I were confused as to what actually happened. My husband did notice that his eye was red.

After the session I asked my son again. He said "I was lying down on the yellow couch. Teacher was sitting on the rug. She threw the light ball (which has spikes) on wrong side and it hit my eye. Eye got closed. I couldn't open eye."  I asked him "But teacher(he calls his therapist teacher) said you banged the couch". He replied "A(his name) did not bang the couch. Ball banged A in the eye".
I do know that they were playing with the ball cause I had heard my son say "Throw the ball on the couch please". Though the door stays closed, I always keep an ear on whats happening inside.

Mistakes happen with everyone. We understand that while playing kids can get hurt. However I expect honesty. My son is very clear about what happened, he is just 3.5 and does not what it means to lie. I am thinking of writting to the the supervisor. This is a small incident, however it's about trust. What do you think?

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Yeah, situations like that don't make me feel good.  I would have a conversation with the therapist getting every single detail of what happened and go over his comments with her.  If you aren't happy with what she says, then call her supervisor.  Regardless, I wouldn't shut the door anymore during their sessions.  How long has she worked with your son?

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I think it would depend on how long/well you know the therapist, and how much your son can really tell you correctly.  My kids could not explain anything like that with accuracy, so I couldn't trust their story.  They just do not have the ability.  If it was a newer therapist or someone I did not know well I would be Leary and watching therapy for a while.  If she did as your son says, it was probably an accident she should have owned up to and not lied about it.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree 100%.  My son can't tell me what happened in that situation either.  He's completely nonverbal.  We actually had something similar happen a few weeks ago with a private nurse, and she's never setting foot in my house again.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I think it would depend on how long/well you know the therapist, and how much your son can really tell you correctly.  My kids could not explain anything like that with accuracy, so I couldn't trust their story.  They just do not have the ability.  If it was a newer therapist or someone I did not know well I would be Leary and watching therapy for a while.  If she did as your son says, it was probably an accident she should have owned up to and not lied about it.

Simran81
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:11 PM

She has been working with my son twice a week for 5 weeks now. I already wasnt happy with her cause of other things like she doesnt try to understand what my son says. She says he speaks too fast for her to comprehend. I noticed a huge gap in their communication. She doesnt seem motivated enough, she mostly tries to idle away time and keeps checking her cell phone during therapy. The other therapist has been working really hard and understands my son very well. Today was an icing on the cake. Yes, I definietly wouldnt want the door closed after this.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Yeah, situations like that don't make me feel good.  I would have a conversation with the therapist getting every single detail of what happened and go over his comments with her.  If you aren't happy with what she says, then call her supervisor.  Regardless, I wouldn't shut the door anymore during their sessions.  How long has she worked with your son?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I would definitely call her supervisor and ask for another therapist.  She's not the right fit for you guys.  Hugs!

Quoting Simran81:

She has been working with my son twice a week for 5 weeks now. I already wasnt happy with her cause of other things like she doesnt try to understand what my son says. She says he speaks too fast for her to comprehend. I noticed a huge gap in their communication. She doesnt seem motivated enough, she mostly tries to idle away time and keeps checking her cell phone during therapy. The other therapist has been working really hard and understands my son very well. Today was an icing on the cake. Yes, I definietly wouldnt want the door closed after this.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

dannix7x
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM
I would be very nervous. Is there any way you could get a half door or some type of gate to monitor the situation more?
Simran81
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM

She 's been with us only for 5 weeks. My son is very accurate about such things. And he wont forget it for weeks, months to come. So I completely trust what he is saying. It was definitely a mistake, but she should have told us. It was perfectly understandable. But twisting the facts is not acceptable.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I agree here.  With thee additional info you just gave, she would not be back.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I would definitely call her supervisor and ask for another therapist.  She's not the right fit for you guys.  Hugs!

Quoting Simran81:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:51 PM
I'd talk to the supervisor and look I to getting a video monitor. Even just a baby monitor. You don't have to hide it, just tell her you want to watch his sessions. That is perfectly reasonable to want to watch his sessions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Im with Darby and Momto.... She blew it. Lying is unacceptable.. A d her intolerance for your sons speech is icky too... If this was a misunderstanding and you otherwise liked her, id make an acception. Your sons care and therapy are too important to waste on bad people. Wishing you tons of luck with a new improved therapist. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN