Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Autistic 8 year old will not stay in seat belt!!

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:23 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son is 8 years old and has autism.  He is non verbal and has many behavioral issues.  For about 6 months now we have been fighting with getting him to stay in his seat belt in the car.  He will wiggle under or just unbuckle it.  I've looked online for special harnesses, but I have a hard time telling which ones will be compatible with our vehicles and will still prevent him from slipping under.  I've also found a car seat that will keep him in a 5 point harness until he is 90pounds, but it is almost $300 and realistically we would need two of them, for each of our cars.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what they've done to address it, what product worked and where to get it.  Thank you!

by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he have a PT. OT, or doc that can write an order for an adaptable car seat paid for by insurance?  I'd try that route.  They make more of the 5 pt harnesses for bigger kids and can justify it to insurance.

shaymarie97
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Does he have a PT. OT, or doc that can write an order for an adaptable car seat paid for by insurance?  I'd try that route.  They make more of the 5 pt harnesses for bigger kids and can justify it to insurance.

He does see an OT and is due to see the neurologist again this month.  I will definately look into that option, thank you!

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Hi. I'm a CPST (car seat tech) but I haven't taken the special needs course yet even though I really want to. It's just not offered very frequently.

Anyway, I had done some research on special needs seats a few months ago for a friend who has a dd with special needs requiring her to be in a harness long term. This is what I told her:

" there are some seats that she could use but they are crazy expensive. You can google them: Columbia Spirit (goes to 66" and 130lbs), Merritt Churchill (72" and 175 lbs and can be configured in many different ways to fit your needs). Then there is the Roosevelt (62" and 115 lbs). And then, the other option is a harness in the car. Its called 86Y. It fits up to 168 lbs."

Like I told her, you should google those. And ask your sons therapists/drs about getting a prescription to see if insurance will pay. If he can't sit stil in a seatbelt he will be seriously injured if there were to be an accident. In my mind, that makes a higher end seat necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Welcome!  These ladies have some good ideas...good luck!

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

When my son was 2 we purchased a seat belt lock from Amazon.  It is a small red device that locked him in.  My son is now 6 and grew out of that behavier.

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Google a gadget like a cinch that you could put on his seat belt at the hardware store.

We offered ds things he liked while riding, audiobook and candy to stay in his seat. He did this from 4-5 yrs
Amy127
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Unfortunately I had to get one of those $300 car seats. Better safe than sorry.
mamatink7
by Franceska on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM

there is something at specialty store (toys r us) a clip you attach to the car seat belt. preventing the buckle from unbuckling by a child.

good luck 

Nicole_2007
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I have been having trouble with this two.  My daughter is 8 and will unbuckle her seat belt and lay in the seat or try to move around in the van.  We have tried everyhting to get her to leave a seat belt on but she wont do it.  I am going to talk to her therapist when we start at the end of this month to see what they say

karene999
by Karen on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I would check with the OT as well...but can you please post a link of the 5 pt harness that you found???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)