Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

moms of kids who have a hard time eating out..

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM
  • 33 Replies

I apologize if I haven't  been sympathetic with you when you talk about taking your kids out to eat and have a hard time with it...  I take for granted that Ashton loves to eat and enjoys eating out and so we don't usually give it much thought... But, today we decided to go out for lunch after church..Ashton already had a long morning and if we go out to eat after church it's usually Red Robin or fast food...but I was tired of that and wanted to go to this Italian place we enjoy but never go with kids.  Big mistake... Ashton was just not in the mood to eat out... It was crowded and like 5 noisy babies there..he didnt like the atmosphere and was making his noise he makes when he is on sensory overload. So he sees they have chicken tenders on the menu and orders them and they are out of them and he screams...like screams really really loud and starts crying intensely...this kid loves pizza, spaghetti and meatballs...burgers...you name it And he loves it but no he wanted the freakin chicken tenders... The waitress was so patient with us but we had a lot of stares.. Finally my hubby suggests grilled chicken (which he loves) and fries and he's ok with that.  But he was still in a mood and then got mad again about something so my hubby took him for a walk.  Sigh... It's been awhile since eating out was this frustrating. He ended up eating all of his food and was good the rest of the time.  guess this place will remain a place we don't take our kids...or maybe it was just one of those days.  From now on I will be much more understanding when someone in here posts about taking their child out to eat and is frustrated. 

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Hugs mama...I can hear how hard that was for you.  Brady struggles when we take him out in public, regardless of where we go and he doesn't eat anything from a restaurant...I get it...I really do.  Hugs!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Thanks, Darby!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama...I can hear how hard that was for you.  Brady struggles when we take him out in public, regardless of where we go and he doesn't eat anything from a restaurant...I get it...I really do.  Hugs!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Hugs Mama!!  Eating out is a major struggle of ours with the kids.  I understand the frustration!!   You just want a nice family dinner as families do, and then ASD strikes!!  Glad you made it through and hope next time is a better trip!   

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I really wanted to leave but my 7 yo dd was so excited to eat there that I just decided to roll with it..before we left my 2 yo pooped lol... I can't even imagine my life any other way but in the moment I wanted to hide under the table.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Hugs Mama!!  Eating out is a major struggle of ours with the kids.  I understand the frustration!!   You just want a nice family dinner as families do, and then ASD strikes!!  Glad you made it through and hope next time is a better trip!   

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I so understand.  Taking my group out is like a circus coming to the restaurant.  And then I just sit there going, why didn't I just do take out and eat at home, lol!! 

Quoting Charizma77:

I really wanted to leave but my 7 yo dd was so excited to eat there that I just decided to roll with it..before we left my 2 yo pooped lol... I can't even imagine my life any other way but in the moment I wanted to hide under the table.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM

When my son was a toddler and even now at 6 sometimes my son can not behave in a restaurant or other public location.  My husband just brings my son outside to calm down.  Once he does they come back and we finish eating or shopping.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Pretty sure the words take out came up a lot lol

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I so understand.  Taking my group out is like a circus coming to the restaurant.  And then I just sit there going, why didn't I just do take out and eat at home, lol!! 

Quoting Charizma77:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM
that's why we order to go most of the time. So not worth the hassle. My son on the severe side so I don't think we've ever had a family dinner without some kind of meltdown and we end up shoveling the food in our mouths so fast to try to get through the meal before the meltdown happened we don't even get to enjoy it.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM

That works well for Ashton too.

Quoting emarin77:

When my son was a toddler and even now at 6 sometimes my son can not behave in a restaurant or other public location.  My husband just brings my son outside to calm down.  Once he does they come back and we finish eating or shopping.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I understand! 

Quoting trippyhippy: that's why we order to go most of the time. So not worth the hassle. My son on the severe side so I don't think we've ever had a family dinner without some kind of meltdown and we end up shoveling the food in our mouths so fast to try to get through the meal before the meltdown happened we don't even get to enjoy it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN