Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

He keep having poop leak out

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
Sorry for the gross title but wanted as many people to click as possible!!! I'm tired of the doctors saying Miralax is the only option!!!!!

DS has had gut issues from birth, as most ASD kids do. His problem is chronic constipation. As a baby, upping his puréed fiber rich foods and a bit of Karo syrup did the trick. Then, when he got picky as a toddler we would do benefiber. When he turned 4 we started a daily regimen of Miralax and that worked great. Now he's 9 and it hurts his tummy so we cannot use it anymore. Even worse, the constipation creates a blockage and the softer poop leaks around the blockage and he has to change underwear several times a day. I have to help keep him clean with wet wipes or he gets a rash on his anus. It's horrible for him and very embarrassing.
I tried Dulcolax and it worked once but next few times he said it hurt his tummy and he still had the seepage. Idk what to do next. Oh we also tried Juice Plus which just made it worse!!!!! Please give me any suggestions you've tried and had good results. Thanks!!!!
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  My son is almost 6 years old with ASD and Cystic Fibrosis including pancreatic insufficiency so his digestion issues are major.  I know just how you feel.  If I were you, I'd take him to see a pediatric GI and go from there.  Hugs and good luck!

Schnauzerlov869
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM
Ok thanks!! I've been considering that! :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome!  My son is almost 6 years old with ASD and Cystic Fibrosis including pancreatic insufficiency so his digestion issues are major.  I know just how you feel.  If I were you, I'd take him to see a pediatric GI and go from there.  Hugs and good luck!

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree a peds GI is the best place to start. My 14 year old has colitis so we are very familiar with GI issues. Currently we do 1 tablespoon of Benefiber in his drink with each of his main meals(3 times a day). We sit him on the potty every 1 1/2 - 2 hours and are having some success with stool training. Good luck and call that doc. They have lots of tricks up their sleeves.

shake hand

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree here!  We have a pediatric GI in charge of my daughter's constipation.  We are ok using the miralax though.  You could ask about a probiotic, really helped my son's stomach pain of GI issues.  Might even let you bring the miralax back if the probiotic helped the pain, not sure.  I'd try tie GI.  They can be great miracle workers!! 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I agree.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

aj23
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM
My son held his poop and it caused so many problems with constipation and him not being able to feel when he needed to go. The miralax was the first and most often thing suggested but it made things worse. He had soft stools but he also had three or four accidents a day because he couldn't hold it even when he wanted to. I changed insurance and had to change all of his doctors and the new GI said to give him Benefiber instead of the Miralax and its been the best thing. He's 7 and the past month is the longest he's went without having an accident and he's actually going to the bathroom on a regular basis now.
solen
by VintageMom on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried a really good probiotic?  We use one by nature's way that needs to be refrigerated.  ( the children's form is a powder to add to food or drink). My son and I both take the capsules and it seems to be the best thing for keeping him regular.  I would, of course take him to the doctor, ESP if he seems to have an impaction.  But for long term, probiotics can help.  Also coconut water, but I like it best blended into a smoothie.

Nicole_2007
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM

My daughter has had problems with constipation since Birth to.  What we do is make sure she gets lots of fiber, we even giver her fiber drinks.  Also the Miralx is good and there is milk of magnisia, and there is also Magnesium Citrate which I used to have to give my daughter along with the Miralx.  There are a few different options.   My daughter was so bad she was backed up into her intestines.  They also had to do a milk and malasis inama in the doctor office.  Since doing all this she hasn't had to much of a problem

brennan5882300
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I agree with those who said see a ped GI and try a probiotic (a good one but pricey is Custom Probiotics D-Lactate Free).  That said, what finally worked for my ds(after seeing ped GI and probiotics and GFCFSoyF diet) was the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  We tried this after seeing a 2nd GI doc and after he put him on 2 different meds suggested the diet.  But I tread very carefully recommending the diet because it's a major undertaking, and not a guarantee.  Before the diet he took Oxypowder (also pricey) recommended by his DAN doc, which helped some.

tltaft24
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Probiotics!! My daughter had Cystic fibrosis and that's a big issue with her (it used to be anyways). Once we started her on probiotics she's become regular for the most part

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)