Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

School Started Back Yesterday........and it begins! Venting...

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Well Josiah (5) started kindergarten yesterday and he has a new school and a whole new team. He is not adjusting so well.....at least yet. Josiah is in an inclusion classroom for 5 hours of the day and she has already begin to send home notes. Josiah is they type of kid you have to push him a little to get him to do what he needs to be doing but she seems to be the type of teacher who will just pass him along because he is not easy to deal with. He is not aggressive towards other kids or anything but if she ask him to do something he will tell her no.....So instead of trying a different approach she will ship him back to his special needs teacher so that she does not have to deal. I know and understand that it takes patience and a different approach at times but that is the job that she chose and I feel she should have patience to deal with not just Josiah but all kids. Every child is different and they all learn in their own way. So, she should have the patience to help them succeed. Sorry I had to vent!! simple frownI just want this to be a good year for him and I want him to make progress!!

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I can relate my three littles start kinder this year and not looking forward to it.  All new people working with the kids.  New schedule, new school, ugh!

kelly-lee
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so frustrating. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. My son had a teacher like that a couple of years ago. It's exhausting to feel like you have to fight so hard for your kid to be given a chance all the time. I hope you're able to work something out and the school year progresses a little better.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Did you write a note to the teacher? I always send notes with my ASD daughter referencing her responses to certain issues, etc. Send the note and be as direct as possible.
Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:58 AM
1 mom liked this

You could call an IEP meeting and discuss her sending him to the separate class because she is denying him his "least restrictive environment" and ask for a one on one aide to follow though on her requests with him if she feels she needs more help.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry mama   =(

Kindergarten is a huge adjustment for all kids and moms. Give it time and I know it will get better!

josiah0927
by Shanta on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Thanks ladies!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama...hope things get easier and smoother as time goes on:)

AnnaNonamus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this

No matter what, the start of school is always very hard because the schedule from summer to school alone is a big change. Just keep working with him, and talking withthe teacher (daily emails are helpful), and. It will get better slowly. The first week is always bad, but it definitely will get better, I promise. 

I think it usually takes Gillian about a month to settle into school, and get used to the people around her, and the new schedule. This year will be worse- she has had the same team for 4 years, and the same teacher for the past 2. This year is a new building, new start time, class switching, and a full new team. 

Basherte
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this

*hugs*

This is what I'm worried about with my little one who is to start kindergarten at the end of this month.

So sorry that you are having to deal with this. I hope this can be straightened out soon.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Im guessing it will take time for the inclusion teacher to stretch your son into meeting her requests. She is looking to keep him happy at this point, getting him comfortable.. If she were to push him and he acted out then tperhaps his peers would view him differently, perhaps he would be kess comfortable in the new surroundings. 

I tink you need to let some time go by for them to build a trusting listening relationship. Once she knows him better she will stretch him, without pushing him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN