Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Well Monday will be interesting ...

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

Monday is when Zachary starts first grade. He is in a 100% typical classroom and is given no services. Well, he is pooping his pants 95% of the time. Not  going to be a good year...

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I was thinking 'great for him!' not needing services and being in a typical classroom.  But then I read the poop part :(.  Now I'm thinking you mean he does need services but doesn't have them?  Why doesn't he have any?  Have you had an eval done at the school?

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Oh, that sounds stressful for you and him. Hope you can work it out and get him the help he needs. Hugs

Jnc91
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I was thinking 'great for him!' not needing services and being in a typical classroom.  But then I read the poop part :(.  Now I'm thinking you mean he does need services but doesn't have them?  Why doesn't he have any?  Have you had an eval done at the school?

He had an evaluation done last yr at school. They became so focused on how well he did on academic tests they ignored his autistic traits. So they said no services. Thankfully he is high functioning so kindergarten went fine. But we do have lots of potty issues this summer. And now the toilet isn't going to be in the classroom. So pee accidents might also become an issue. But unless he shows BIG issues in school they won't give him an iep.
Jnc91
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Quoting Charizma77:

Oh, that sounds stressful for you and him. Hope you can work it out and get him the help he needs. Hugs

At this point of summer I've given up on it. I plan on packing a change of clothes daily and telling the teacher to let him deal with it if possible(hopefully to encourage him to try harder) and give her my moms number if more help is required(I teach and can't leave work)
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Got it.  Seems common but stinks.  I hope it goes ok.

Quoting Jnc91:
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

He had an evaluation done last yr at school. They became so focused on how well he did on academic tests they ignored his autistic traits. So they said no services. Thankfully he is high functioning so kindergarten went fine. But we do have lots of potty issues this summer. And now the toilet isn't going to be in the classroom. So pee accidents might also become an issue. But unless he shows BIG issues in school they won't give him an iep.

Nicole_2007
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Quoting Jnc91:
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

They might have to have him go to the nurses office so she can make sure he goes into the bathroom and goes potty.  Thats what they had to do with my daughter last year because she wouldn't go with the rest of the class and kept having accedents

baby
baby growth
baby
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:00 AM

As if it would hurt them to give him services that are already existing there! OHHHH that makes me so mad!

Hope he has a great year and the potty issues get worked out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)