Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Anyone have luck with a natural heavy metal detox?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have read about detoxing heavy metals with cilantro and chlorella as being a good treatment for our kids.  Has anyone tried this, and if so, what amounts and did you mix it in a smoothie?  It sounds like something I would want to do, but I am also worried about releasing the metals from one area of the body, only to resettle in another area rather that be flushed out.  Supposedly both are safe to ingest, but I still worry about playing doctor too much.

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  I have not but wish you luck!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Welcome to he group! I have no experience with this, sorry 

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:09 AM

i want my son  to do this

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:58 AM

I've never looked into this so I have no idea!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I've never heard of, or tried, that.  I'll have to do some research.

SuDoNim
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't do any kind of detox unless medically indicated. Have you had bloodwork done that showed elevated levels of heavy metals?

shunnicutt
by Stephanie on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Quoting SuDoNim:

I wouldn't do any kind of detox unless medically indicated. Have you had bloodwork done that showed elevated levels of heavy metals?

No, I'm just reading all this stuff that has me paranoid because I got the flu shot while pregnant, had amalgam fillings, etc.  Was wanting to get some first hand experiences before I talk to my pediatrician about it.  Even though the detox agents are natural, I know "natural" doesn't mean there are no unsafe side effects.  I hesitate to do anything like this, but have read a lot that has me curious.

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no experience in this. Sorry! It honestly scares me. 

SuDoNim
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this

The best thing to do is ask the pedi to order some bloodwork. They can check for all different substances: lead, mercury, nickle, cadmium, etc. There are private companies who will do urine or hair analysis tests, but those tests aren't reliable.

Keep in mind that, in all likelihood, the test will show some level of heavy metals. No matter how pure and natural one's lifestyle is, we we all have a certain level of heavy metals in our bodies because they are naturally present in our environment. Everything we eat, drink, or breathe exposes us to heavy metals, and most of the time our bodies filter and excrete it just fine. 

If by chance the bloodwork does reveal toxic levels, there are FDA approved chelation therapies that your doctor could prescribe. I'm not against using "natural" methods, but I do believe they need to be approached with caution. If there are no clinical studies to back them up, there's really no accurate doseage information and toxicity levels, let alone evidence that they actually work.    

shunnicutt
by Stephanie on Aug. 8, 2014 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much for your reply.  We have a ped appt on Tuesday so I will get his opinion on all of this.  I am not saying that I do or don't buy into the vaccine, heavy metals theory, it is more that anything I can safely try, I am going to do...never give up!  I do think this is something that needs medical supervision though.  Wanted to see if anyone has gone there with their doctors or on their own.

Thanks everyone /hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)