Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Thanks but no thanks

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

Sometimes it really irritates me that because my son has autism, people say things like oh well you should go to this and that support group for autism.  Or I have other mothers trying to remother what they would do or say for my son and suggesting to me all kinds of activities for "therapy" And sometimes I just wanna say no I'm good....really. It's not like I signed up for this when I got pregnant that someday I would not be a normal person but instead filling days with school and therapies. Sometimes I miss no offense, just me..not autism mom to the rescue.

Sometimes I feel crazy because lately I'm weepy and tired for no apparent reason. I will go through the whole day happy then sudden tears coming down my face.(perimenopause booo!)  I guess my body needs a release whether I would admit it or not. Yesterday I decided whether anyone liked it I just was going to stop talking stop thinking stare out the window of the passenger side and just be for awhile. Sometimes I want to Just say ok I QUIT in protest without really doing so. Does this happen to you?

surrendertoddler tantrumbummed_outsickcrying

by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

{{{HUGZ Mama}}} I wish I had the magic words for you. I too sometimes sit and cry. I didn't sign up for this either but God has put the plan into my life and all I can do is my best.

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs. I think we all have those days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
airforce24b
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM
3 moms liked this
I have been told that God only gives us what we can handle
shunnicutt
by Stephanie on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:03 PM
3 moms liked this

I completely agree with this perspective.  God gave us special children because we are special Mothers who are capable of unconditional love and understanding.  Who are patient and kind and selfless.  Do we still have hard days? Of course, sometimes the waterworks start and there is no stopping it, no matter how happy my son makes me.  We can't help but hurt for them because we love them so much. 

Finding this forum has been such a blessing since the only people I have to talk to about this JUST DON'T GET IT.  They try to be "helpful" and "compasionate" but somehow it never quite comes off right.

We have to take care of ourselves in order to be able to care for our wonderful children, and if that means checking out for a bit, then so be it.  We are of no use to our sweet kids if we are depleted.

Lots of love to all of you strong Mamas!

Quoting airforce24b: I have been told that God only gives us what we can handle
josiah0927
by Shanta on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

hugs We all have those days!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Sure, I definitely check out mentally now and then and want some quiet time to let my mind rest.  And then someone needs something, and I'm back.  Our lives are going to be stress-filled.  It's perfectly normal to check out now and then.  The important thing is you check back in.  :)  Hugs!! 

chrissara1011
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM
I feel as if I am getting burned out with the 24hour care for my daughter....I recently looked into getting some respite help so I could be the mom she needs me to be....I can not handle the thought of her being put in a facility bc I can no longer care for her
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I keep telling him THIS is too much.. s/he better start carring me cause I am SOO done! LOL... much too much... I need more help then this..

Quoting airforce24b: I have been told that God only gives us what we can handle

Mwheels72
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes I think God is showing me away to accept the things I cannot change. Its harder sometimes to accept what's less than perfect because you want so much for your kids. Sometimes I think its harder to see the weaknesses and I get bothered when I try to make a step to accept where I am and someone comes along and says your not having hope. ARe YOU kidding me? He's my son. I want the moon and stars for him. My Reality and hope sometimes are on two different wave lengths. I look at Jesus who suffered and think about my son and want compassion for him. I get frustrated when therapists working with him can't do what they "think" they can do. I say your going to fast, you have to approach it differently. But they talk to me as though I don't live with his disabilities everyday. When I am frustrated they want answers I can't give them about why one day he was doing puzzles and then illness strikes and regression happens. Those are the days I check out. I am glad to know I am not alone. But I hate that we are all going through this at the same time. Thanks ladies your words mean alot.group hug 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Yes! I totally get it. Sometimes I just tell my dh I need to go back to our room and be alone, take a nap, a long bath or read a book..I am out going for the most part but I still need time to just be by myself. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)