Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

All very new to me

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 7:48 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi everyone. My two year old was just diagnosed with mild autism last month and I feel like my world has been turned upside down ever since. I know that I have to have faith and hope and believe that the therapy he is getting will help him. I am trying to stay positive but I've been waking up in the middle of the night in tears worrying about his future and wondering when he'll eventually speak...
by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Macphee
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs mama. It is okay to feel the way you do. Autism is a tough journey with our kids. My son was diagnosed at 3. He is now 7 1/2 yrs old. My son was diagnosed as moderate but had several language delays. The ladies here are so great for advice on new treatments, tough days, etc.
dawncs
by Dawn on Aug. 9, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Welcome to the group! It is wonderful that he got diagnosed young because it can help him reach his full potential in life. You need to talk to your school district about enrolling him in early intervention which is free. I also recommend getting involved with Easter Seals (www.easterseals.com).

shunnicutt
by Stephanie on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely understand and sympathize.  I went through the textbook stages of grief:

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

You will get there.  I still have to leave the room at times when he runs to the corner covering his ears because I don't want him to see Mommy cry.  When my husband and Mother-in-law started expressing concerns about Jericho's development, I would say things like, he's just quiet and shy, it's just because he isn't around a lot of other kids, he's just quirky like his parents.  Then I was completely angry with them like they were insulting my child, who is my world. Then I prayed and begged God to snap him out of it, I decided it was my parenting inadequacies that had him behind developmentally, and blamed myself for everything.  Then I got depressed and didn't want to get out of bed and cried and would lay in bed and read to isolate myself to get away from it all.  Then one day I said enough and started to learn as much as I could to help my son, to make his home life safe, comforting and therapeutic.  What you are feeling is totally normal, it is wonderful that you got such an early diagnosis and can start early intervention.  Find the resources out there and use them.  Do everything you can is the only advice I can offer.  I can SO relate, big hugs and lots of love to you. <3

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Hugs! If it gives you any sense of hope or comfort, my son also wasn't speaking yet at that age. But he did end up speaking before 3, and now talks all the time! ;)
Dzoldak
by New Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh that makes me feel much better that others went through this as well. Yes he is getting aba therapy with early intervention along with speech and ot
Dzoldak
by New Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Sometimes I just wish I could see into the future! Xoxo
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs.

Try to focus on today. Look for every opportunity you can and never put limits on him. Cause you never know!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faithPsalm27
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

My son also has mild autism and is now 19...He graduated and is going on another interview for a job....(I hope he gets this one)...don't worry...he'll be fine...just keep him in therapy...don't get me wrong though....he does have his moments...but you'd be surprised how much they can accomplish....hugs and prayers...

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Those feelings are totally normal. It is normal to grieve. Just remember, he is the same little boy you have always known and loved. Therapy is the key...the sooner the better, {{{HUGZ Mama}}}

Dzoldak
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Thank you everyone! It means a lot and gives me a lot of hope xoxo
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN