Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Zoloft!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM
  • 13 Replies

Ok now....my asd son had a Doc. appointment this Thursday....I explained to his Doc....how he gets very anxious and aggressive with his sisters b/f...the Doc's explanation to me was that he just doesn't do well with change and prescribed him zoloft....eek...it so scares me...don't like to medicate my son....but hopefully it'll work....Has anyone ever taken it?...I voiced my concerns with the suicide side effects...Doc says this effect is very small and people just blow it out of proportion....the positive effect of zoloft out ways the negative...my asd son has been on it for 2 days and I feel that he is still the same...Doc says it'll take awhile....I guess we have to be patient....

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shunnicutt
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:34 AM

I haven't had my son on any medications yet, we have a Dr. appt Tuesday, so who knows.  I have tried Zoloft and it was no good for me, made me sort of out of it, no laughing or crying...super even tempered and blah, I don't know how else to describe it.  The thing about these medications though is that they affect everyone differently.  I had to try 3 before I found one that worked right for me and I have known people who have taken it with great success.  It does usually take about two weeks I believe to build up in your system though, so it is probably early to tell how he will respond.  Good luck to you! /hugs

faithPsalm27
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Quoting shunnicutt:

I haven't had my son on any medications yet, we have a Dr. appt Tuesday, so who knows.  I have tried Zoloft and it was no good for me, made me sort of out of it, no laughing or crying...super even tempered and blah, I don't know how else to describe it.  The thing about these medications though is that they affect everyone differently.  I had to try 3 before I found one that worked right for me and I have known people who have taken it with great success.  It does usually take about two weeks I believe to build up in your system though, so it is probably early to tell how he will respond.  Good luck to you! /hugs

faithPsalm27
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Thanks....very helpfull!!!....yes the Doc did say everyone is different...

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is taking Abilfy & it has improved our lives 100%. I really &truely did not want to put him on medication but the older he gets the harder it is to control him. Long story short I ended up with a broken wrist & finally had enough. Don't feel bad, my son is doing so much better & so am I. Good luck (((hugs)))
JCKitten87
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Meds like that take at least a couple weeks.

I'd personally never pick up the meds. I was on them as a teenager. The side effects are more likely to hit younger people too. I was never suicidal until a month on Zoloft
kaycamp
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM
My son was just put on prozac for anxiety issues - school anxiety especially. Use caution. I allowed prozac because it is approved by the FDA in the use on children and has relatively no side effects. I would start off by checking to see if approved by the FDA. Years ago I took zoloft to aid in quitting smoking. It made me a crazy lady! Use cautiin, please.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:38 AM

Hugs mama...my son isn't on any medications like that so I don't have any experience but wish you the best!

TheJerseyGirl
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:43 AM

We have no experience with Zoloft   ...sorry I cant help more.

amybrg86
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:04 AM

i've been on zoloft (100mg) for about 2 weeks now for my depression/anxiety. i will say i've noticed that it's helped me to be more even-tempered/calmer overall, but i'm still struggling sometimes. and sometimes i feel like it doesn't work at all because i'll notice myself slipping back to where i was (i.e. getting angry, feeling depressed). thankfully i have a check up appt tomorrow with my doctor to let her know how it's been working (or not working for that matter!). i'm hoping she ups my dosage or puts me on something different or additional to the zoloft. 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM

No experience with zoloft, but it is an SSRI like Prozac, which my 7 year old is currently taking a low dose of for his anxiety. 

It takes 2-3 weeks before either SSRI builds in the body to see a difference. IF you see major agitation or changes in that regard, call Dr immediatly, The sucicidality is only notable in adults, not children.. And the other side effects (sexual dysfunction- not an issue) and weight gain (my son has gained 10lbs) 

aside from the weight gain my son seems more "comfortable" in his skin, less anxiety. He is not a robot or monotone.. He still shows affect and excitement... He is easier to take places - his anxiety was high so it was even hard for him to get in the car. 

Its been 12 weeks with some improvement, not perfect. Still have issues.. But still trying. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)