Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who should have to pay?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:35 AM
  • 20 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I previously posted about my son being attacked on his school bus, by five of his peers. I just recently received the bill for ER visit, which is just shy of $1,300! And to too that off, I learned the prosecutor dropped the charges...since they aren't 10 years of age. (Charges on the bus driver are still pending... First degree child neglect)

The superintendent was gracious enough to offer school insurance to pay a to steal of $300 of the bill. I feel that I should not have to pay this bill. These boys drop kicked my child, punched him in the neck, Gentiles, back, scratched him ect for over 15 minutes. The bus driver claims that my child said something these boys didn't like and he "deserved" what he got! Even after the attack, that she failed to stop and after my son moved away from his attackers...she got into my sons seat, got over top of him and screamed in his face and moved the boys back by him.

My question is.... Who should be held accountable for this bill?
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:18 AM
2 moms liked this

you sue the parents, the bus copany and the school.

if you filed charges against the boys, they prosecuter cannot drop the charges becuase of their ages.

the bill would be the least of my worries.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Im so soory this happened to your child. An attorney should def. be handling this. Im sure someone would take this on pro bono.
Wishing you peace.
Jenn8604
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:07 AM
4 moms liked this
Yes. Add the ER bill in with pain and suffering, the cost of counseling him for years to come, social therapy to reintegrate him into being with people, gas money for you now having to drive him to school, paying for a private school (my kid sure the hell wouldn't go back there), pay for any missed work because you now have to take him to school, etc. I'm sure your attorney can find a LOT of other things to tack on there. You need an attorney that deals with tort law (I want you to know what area to look at, so you find a really good attorney).

Quoting AJsMom81507:

you sue the parents, the bus copany and the school.

if you filed charges against the boys, they prosecuter cannot drop the charges becuase of their ages.

the bill would be the least of my worries.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM
The school and the parents.
shunnicutt
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:26 PM

My heart is breaking for you, I am so sorry something like this happened.  Kids are cruel, but the ones that pick on other kids for things completely beyond their control...well, it hits a nerve with me.  I am sickened that the bus driver didn't intervene and even participated.  I believe school buses have cameras now so this person should at the very least lose their job.  The school should put the kids that participated in tolerance training, after their suspension of course. 

I have always felt the school bus is the worst place for any child, I remember horrors taking place on the bus, I wish it was possible for us all to transport our kids to school ourselves, but that is just not reality most of the time.

Big, giant hug to you and your son.  I hope he can see past this and hold his head high knowing that he is above this atrocious behavior.

emarin77
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I agree.

Quoting SamMom912: Im so soory this happened to your child. An attorney should def. be handling this. Im sure someone would take this on pro bono. Wishing you peace.

canfield22
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
The bus driver lost her job and so did her supervisor, who tried hiding the part of the video where she got into his seat. The boys only recieved a 1 year bus suspension.

We're meeting with an attorney tomorrow, I have chosen to homeschool...as, I have major trust issues now and Isiah is receiving consoling.

Quoting shunnicutt:

My heart is breaking for you, I am so sorry something like this happened.  Kids are cruel, but the ones that pick on other kids for things completely beyond their control...well, it hits a nerve with me.  I am sickened that the bus driver didn't intervene and even participated.  I believe school buses have cameras now so this person should at the very least lose their job.  The school should put the kids that participated in tolerance training, after their suspension of course. 

I have always felt the school bus is the worst place for any child, I remember horrors taking place on the bus, I wish it was possible for us all to transport our kids to school ourselves, but that is just not reality most of the time.

Big, giant hug to you and your son.  I hope he can see past this and hold his head high knowing that he is above this atrocious behavior.

shunnicutt
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this experience, you have me crying my eyes out for your little man.  It is so horrific, I am glad you are following through with seeing a lawyer, even though I'm sure it would be easier to let it go.  I am so sorry you are having to make such a tough decision as homeschooling and am so impressed with your fortitude in doing so.  I wish I could give you both a huge hug.  You are an inspiration to me doing whatever it takes for your son.

Semajmom719
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Damn this really gets under my skin im sorry that u and ur family is going thru this...sue everyone u can im ready to hit a few people for u just so they know how it feels
mybabiesmom1
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I hate bullies. My dd took the bus last year and was picked on by the other kids and the bus driver pitched a fit and expected her to sit in the "punishment" seat for the whole year. The school and the kids parents should be responsible for that bill. Talk to a lawyer, they shouldn't get off because of their age. Good luck and prayers to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)